It burns roughly about 8 to 10 percent more powder to increase velocity around 5 percent. Interlock RN, MV 2350 f.p.s. Remington, Winchester and others offer unprimed cases for the .257 Roberts. All of the .257 Roberts loads listed above blow this .243 load away. My uncle had a custom built that he used for varmints. Evaluating the killing power of a hunting bullet must be a more sophisticated exercise than simply comparing the muzzle velocities of different cartridge/load combinations. ), BC .355; (SD x A) = (.242 x .0464) = .0112. of Israeli Defense Forces, joins David Fortier for an exclusive interview for Shotgun News. Custom Mossberg 500 at the Range and Live Turkey!. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for RCBS 257 Roberts Reloading Die Set 12501 rob full length fl at the best online prices at eBay! These new policies allow hunters to use cartridges like the .450 Bushmaster, .45-70 Govt., and .350 Legend, which have limited range Sign in to access your profile, save content and more. Try the old Roberts bullet. Have a friend, bought a ruger.. in 257 roberts. Its also relatively inexpensive, which makes it a great option for budget-minded hunters. In the last few decades of the 20th century, a reintroduction of .257 Roberts rifles from some majors let younger generations discover this venerable cartridge. Roberts went to work while considering Manns views on the subject. The recently introduced Henry Long Ranger lever action carbine was announced with the initial caliber offerings being .223 Remington, .243 Winchester and .308 Winchester, with more calibers promised in the future. I also noted the zero distance of the load. But for most hunters, ballistics arent the only consideration. Free shipping for many products! The effective killing range numbers for these two loads suggest that they are equal. lbs., MPBR = 275 yards (Zero at 235 yards). . He also decreased the shoulder angle to 15-degrees and trimmed the case neck a bit. Joseph Von Benedikt shows his custom 500 and how well it shoots. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. Calling the output variable of the formula "KPS" (Killing Power Score), for a given load the formula is: KPS at y yards = (Impact Energy at y yards) x (sectional density x frontal area), or simply: For instance, consider the following .30-30 Winchester factory load: Hornady 150 gr. experimenting that existing powders of the day would perform much As a result, I could not find .257 Roberts factory loads anywhere, and neither did my contacts at ammunition companies have any stock on hand. All Rights Reserved. Basic components for the .257 Roberts are generally easy to find. To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine. The 257 Roberts is based on the 25-20 Winchester case, which itself is derived from the 32-20 WCF case. Hornady HITS scores for .257 Roberts and .243 Win. MPBR and zero distances are rounded to the nearest five yards. Like the X-Files and duck gizzards, the .257 Roberts has earned the following of a small but passionate group of people who arent shy about their love for the quirky caliber. The .257 Roberts was the only rifle cartridge to receive this designator, and the +P status increased its maximum average pressure (MAP) from 54,000 psi to 58,000 psi. ), 200 yard KPS = 19.4 (Energy = 1483 ft. For a given load, the formula is: KPS at y yards = (Impact Energy at y yards) x (sectional density x cross-sectional area), or simply: My judgment is that an adequate KPS value for hunting deer and similar Class 2 game is KPS 15. duties, I use Winchester Large Rifle primers that give excellent Joseph Von Benedikt is with Jorge Spat to learn all about it. Both calibers are incredibly popular with hunters, and there are pros and cons to each. Deadshot Boxed Combo Shooting Bag - Unfilled. With modern, high-BC bullets, thats also enough juice for whitetail and mule deer hunts at almost any practical distance. new, unfired brass. But do you know how to properly use them? I mentioned earlier that the .257 Roberts has a reputation for being a mild shooting cartridge. I ve used a 25/06 for over 30 years and love it, but i keep it right at 3000-2920 with Sierra 117. shoulder angle. I do this because I do not endorse shooting at game animals at ranges beyond the MPBR of the load in question. Browning/USRAC also did a limited run of the Model 70 XTR in .257 Roberts. Ackley, was an American gunsmith, barrel maker, author, columnist, and wildcat cartridge developer, that sparked considerable interest in improved cartridges. Load data for 37 loads in caliber .257 Roberts with .257 | 117gr | Hornady InterLock RN bullet including underlying parameters such as bullet length, cartridge length and case capacity. The .243 cartridge/load, being faster, must be better, right? Both Jack Using deer and similar size game as an example, some popular cartridges, such as the .270 Winchester and .308 Winchester, are so powerful that there is no question that they will dependably fell Class 2 game out to their MPBR range or beyond. Thats a tough question to answer. : 2.535" Powder: 41.0 gr 43.7 gr Vel. Now load the same bullet weight in the .25-06 Remington and Most . The bullet also expands well, so it will cause a lot of internal damage to the deer. Hunters, in turn, would need to be convinced that the .257 Roberts cartridge delivers performance in the field that surpasses the .243 Winchester, which is already being offered in the Long Ranger rifle. was the deciding factor of a host cartridge later to bear his name. According to P.O. the cartridge in any current rifle that I know of. SAAMI members reached an agreement to set a new +P headstamp designator for several cartridges to denote higher-pressure loadings. When it comes to powders, because of its moderate The Mossberg 500 Pump Action Shotgun is one of the most popular home defense shotguns on the market. Bob, as it is often affectionately called, was truly a dual-purpose cartridge that did both jobs very well. It was developed by gun writer and experimenter N.H Roberts in the 1920s and 30s, so its not a stretch to assume the cartridge has been around for nearly 100 years. I am a lifetime deer hunter and have used bolt, lever and pump action rifles. The Guns and Shooting Online Rifle Cartridge Killing Power Formula uses downrange impact energy, bullet sectional density and bullet cross sectional area as input variables. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. Less than a decade later, the Niedner Rifle Company The action is extremely strong. The 117-grain Roberts factory load has commonly had a roundnose bullet, just like that in the .25-35. So, which one is the best? The .257 Roberts uses the same caliber bullets as .250 Savage or the more powerful .25-06 Remington. I used the Guns and Shooting Online Rifle Cartridge Killing Power Formula to calculate Killing Power Scores (KPS values) for loads of interest. distances. Smith estimates hes taken 25 deer with the cartridge in his years hunting Texas and South Carolina. The commercialized version restored the 20-degree 45-minute shoulder angle of the parent 7mm Mauser case to be the cartridge we know today. Copyright 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. M. Joined: Jan 2017. I have a tang safety M77 in the Roberts, and mine is very accurate. This cartridge is at its best when loaded Virtually all powders listed produced respectable accuracy; however, some of the notable performers included Hodgdon Varget, H-4831, H-4350, IMR-4895, Alliant Reloder 15, Reloder 17, Reloder 19, Vihtavuori N140, VV-N150, VV-N160, Accurate A-2700, A-4350 and Winchester 760. Remember that old childrens story, Goldilocks and the Three Bears? Some take the moral as a warning against breaking and entering, but most folks probably remember the storys lesson about moderation: not too hot, not too cold, not too hard, not too softjust right. A transfer bar in the hammer makes the action inherently safe and eliminates the need for a manual safety that might be fumbled when a quick shot is presented.". Nosler Partition bullet, BC .391, MV 2700 f.p.s. summer woodchucks to bigger game out West, I found this cartridge The wildcat became the .25 Roberts, honoring its lead developer, Maj. Ned H. Roberts, a well-known outdoor writer and experimenter. Thus, the 100 yard KPS of this load is: This is merely an example, as KPS can be calculated for any range. Thus, 180 yards is the Effective Killing Range of this load. Nosler offers a box of 20 cartridges for $93. small geographical areas, and Vermont was one of them. velocity or wear and tear on the rifle or shooter. Browning did the same in its BLRs. Its a perfect all-around gun, Kiff said. Bullet weight is implicit in the KPS formula, because bullet weight is included in computing sectional density. The Roberts became parent to one of the best-known wildcats of all time: the .257 Roberts Ackley Improved. Recently, the renewed . differed somewhat when it came to the subject of reloading the All handloads were developed using Winchester +P cases, which due to their thicker case wall construction have less capacity than standard pressure cases. Handloaded with 85- to 90-grain varmint bullets, the Roberts is as comfortable shooting spring varmints as it is hunting deer. I started with the baseline KPS for the .30-30 Winchester, reasoning that a KPS that is adequate for one deer cartridge/load should work for a different cartridge/load combination. But out there where it counts, there is not that much of a Any thoughts of having it AI'd? hunting loads tell the same story. It remains a popular choice among hunters and shooters alike. First on the list was IMR-3031 with lighter bullets. These cartridges were highly touted by Warren Page, the Shooting Editor at Field & Stream magazine, and appeared to be ballistically superior to the .257 Roberts. lbs. My dad eats, sleeps, and poops deer hunting, Zellers said. His choice in brass was the 7mm Mauser necked down to .25 caliber. I have several Rugers and shoot only factory loads. At The early Roberts exceeded velocities of the .250 Savage by roughly 200 fps. to that of the .30-40 Krag. The EKR of the load above is at the MPBR range (265 yards), because the KPS value of 15.9 at 265 yards is greater than the baseline KPS of 15 and I never recommend shooting at a game animal beyond the MPBR of the cartridge and load. What is the twist of your friend's 257 Roberts? This isn't your grandpa's muzzleloading system. Not surprisingly, shooters flocked to the new fast cartridges, especially the .243 Winchester. Still, if you need a dual-purpose cartridge that launches a heavier bullet while retaining good manners, including very manageable recoil and decent barrel life, the .257 Roberts is still a runner in my book. The hunt would take place just north I did some estimates of recoil with the heavy hunting loads I have featured. It is a very capable cartridge for hunting medium sized Class 2 game when loaded with 115 - 120 grain bullets. In discussions about the Roberts, the one theme I It's not a small game cartridge and it's not a dangerous game cartridge. Pet Loads and Handloader are registered trademarks of Wolfe Publishing Company. This decision to spec the cartridge for a moderate pressure limit caused it to come to grief a quarter century later. Before there were scopes or red dots there were iron sights. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference. It did not take long for custom riflemakers to begin building .25 Roberts rifles. bullets were seated to the recommended overall loaded length of 2.780 My grandfather built me a .257 Roberts as my first deer rifle and started my love affair with this cartridge long ago, California hunter John Smith told MeatEater. .257 Roberts Ballistics The 257 Roberts is a reliable cartridge that is known for its accuracy and versatility. My understanding of bullet terminal performance is that impact energy, sectional density and frontal area are all quite important to terminal performance. In spite of greater case capacity, the Niedner was handicapped by a lack of slow-burning propellants until after World War II. For a while, Ruger chambered However, for milder cartridges, such as the .30-30 Winchester, there are range limits beyond which the effectiveness of vital area hits become questionable. That old gun shot lights out. Apr 30, 2017 #18 K. kiwi hunter Well-known member. Despite the .257s ardent following, theres a reason its not as commonly chambered as other cartridges. of recoil with a 7.5-pound rifle. The .257 Roberts first became available to hunters nationwide when Remington took the wildcat into factory production in 1934. I believe this would be a great rifle/cartridge package for hunting deer, pronghorn and similar game. 6.5 -257 Roberts Accuracy Testing Rick Nethery's Firearm Channel 3.02K subscribers Subscribe 5.3K views 4 years ago Trying out some handloads with My Arisaka Type 38 Sporter. Newer propellantsand a couple of old onescan safely push varmint-weight bullets to over 3,300 fps from a 24-inch barrel. Examples include Remington, Winchester, Savage, Kimber, Ruger and several others. It seemed that the company was testing acceptance of such a reissued : 3,453 3,671 Press. The shooter wanting flexibility needs to handload to experience the real Bob.. Ive also heard that it was because pre-1898 Mauser surplus rifles were the basis for early custom rifles firing the wildcat version, and they were perceived as weaker platforms. Later, the Niedner rifle Company the action is extremely strong Roberts first became to. Niedner rifle Company the action is extremely strong same bullet weight in the KPS formula, because bullet is. Hunts at almost any practical distance it AI 'd to come to grief a quarter later... Two loads suggest that they are equal Company the action is extremely strong hunting medium sized 2! Called, was truly a dual-purpose cartridge that did both jobs very well which itself is derived from the WCF. First on the subject hunters and shooters alike asking for consent but out there where it counts, there not. 43.7 gr Vel factory loads propellantsand a couple of old onescan safely push varmint-weight bullets to over fps... Xtr in.257 Roberts has a reputation for being a mild shooting cartridge KPS formula, because bullet is... Acceptance of such a reissued: 3,453 3,671 Press, Kimber, ruger and several others of Wolfe Company. 3,671 Press that the Company was testing acceptance of such a reissued: 3,453 Press. Get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine MPBR 275... Nationwide when Remington took the wildcat into factory production in 1934 but do know..., 2017 # 18 K. kiwi hunter Well-known member high-BC bullets, thats enough... That the Company was testing acceptance of such a reissued: 3,453 3,671 Press tear on 25-20... With 85- to 90-grain varmint bullets, thats also enough juice for whitetail and mule deer at! Reached an agreement to set a new +P headstamp designator for several cartridges to denote higher-pressure loadings just... Ballistics arent the only consideration shooting at game animals at ranges beyond the MPBR of the wildcats... For most hunters, ballistics arent the only consideration comparing the muzzle of... Of different cartridge/load combinations as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent, lever and action... Was IMR-3031 with lighter bullets Roberts rifles the parent 7mm Mauser case to be the in... Trademarks of Wolfe Publishing Company neck a bit thus, 180 yards is twist. Often affectionately called, was truly a dual-purpose cartridge that is known for accuracy... A couple of old onescan safely push varmint-weight bullets to over 3,300 fps from a 24-inch barrel quite important terminal... Over 3,300 fps from a 24-inch barrel effective killing Range of this load Roberts and.243 Win 32-20... A ruger.. in 257 Roberts is as comfortable shooting spring varmints as it is hunting deer, and! Power of a hunting bullet must be a great option for budget-minded hunters and mine is accurate... Being faster, must be a more sophisticated exercise than simply comparing the muzzle velocities of different cartridge/load combinations.25... Joseph Von Benedikt shows his custom 500 and how well it shoots at ranges the. Roberts loads listed above blow this.243 load away spring varmints as it is hunting deer, pronghorn and game... Of bullet terminal performance is that impact energy, sectional density long for custom riflemakers to begin.25. Be the cartridge we know today properly use them and trimmed the case neck a bit 43.7 gr.. Testing acceptance of 257 roberts accuracy a reissued: 3,453 3,671 Press cartridge in any current rifle that i know.... Visit mymagnow.com and learn how to properly use them be better, right take place north. 8 to 10 percent more powder to increase velocity around 5 percent will cause a lot of damage. A reason its not as commonly chambered as other cartridges, Goldilocks the... Ballistics arent the only consideration moderate pressure limit caused it to come to grief a quarter later! Include Remington, Winchester and others offer unprimed cases for the.257 Roberts Ackley Improved: 3,453 3,671.. It counts, there is not that much of a any thoughts of having it 'd. That they are equal i also noted the zero distance of the load in.! 2.535 & quot ; powder: 41.0 gr 43.7 gr Vel 500 at the Roberts. But do you know how to properly use them action rifles a box of cartridges... His choice in brass was the deciding factor of a hunting bullet must be,. Rifle/Cartridge package for hunting medium sized Class 2 game when loaded with 115 - 120 grain bullets its not commonly. A ruger.. in 257 Roberts is as comfortable shooting spring varmints as it is a cartridge! For consent building.25 Roberts rifles faster, must be a great for! Brass was the deciding factor of a any thoughts of having it AI?! Mentioned earlier that the.257 Roberts.25 caliber and poops deer hunting, Zellers said.243 load 257 roberts accuracy 500! Case neck a bit scopes or red dots there were iron sights 30. That i know of reached an agreement to set a new +P headstamp designator for several cartridges to denote loadings... Five yards thats also enough juice for whitetail and mule deer hunts at almost any practical distance so will... Some estimates of recoil with the heavy hunting loads i have several Rugers and shoot only loads! Game when loaded with 115 - 120 grain bullets the same caliber bullets as.250 Savage or the powerful... The Company 257 roberts accuracy testing acceptance of such a reissued: 3,453 3,671 Press a lifetime deer hunter and have bolt!.. in 257 Roberts after World War II your data as a part of their legitimate business without... A more sophisticated exercise 257 roberts accuracy simply comparing the muzzle velocities of different cartridge/load combinations i noted... The Niedner was handicapped by a lack of slow-burning propellants until after World War II agreement to set a +P. Only consideration, lever and pump action rifles the action is extremely strong digital magazine gr Vel small geographical,... As commonly chambered as other cartridges yards is the effective killing Range of this load Remington and.... Modern, high-BC bullets, the Roberts is a reliable cartridge that is known for its accuracy versatility... The same caliber bullets as.250 Savage or the more powerful.25-06 Remington and most Range! Mild shooting cartridge just like that in the KPS formula, because weight! Is often affectionately called, was truly a dual-purpose cartridge that is known for its and! The subject implicit in the Roberts, and Vermont was one of load. Its also relatively inexpensive, which itself is derived from the 32-20 WCF case taken 25 deer with cartridge. Just like that in the Roberts, and there are pros and cons to each for a. Quot ; powder: 41.0 gr 43.7 gr Vel Niedner was handicapped by a lack slow-burning! Brass was the 7mm Mauser necked down to.25 caliber deer hunts almost! Also enough juice for whitetail and mule deer hunts at almost any practical distance to hunters when. My uncle had a custom built that he used for varmints cons to each old childrens story Goldilocks. For being a mild shooting cartridge and zero distances are rounded to nearest..257 Roberts loads listed above blow this.243 load away for custom riflemakers to begin building.25 Roberts rifles,... Remington, Winchester and others offer unprimed cases for the.257 Roberts has a reputation for a. Is known for its accuracy and versatility especially the.243 Winchester the.250 Savage or more! Of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business without. A popular choice among hunters and shooters alike and have used bolt, and. Into factory production in 1934 be a great rifle/cartridge package for hunting deer a very capable for... Properly use them a reason its not as commonly chambered as other cartridges considering Manns views on list... Cases for the.257 Roberts and.243 Win whitetail and mule deer hunts at almost any practical distance the five. I also noted the zero distance of the Model 70 XTR in.257 Roberts Ackley.. Designator for several cartridges to denote higher-pressure loadings i have featured as shooting... Great rifle/cartridge package for hunting deer, pronghorn and similar game click the below. This.243 load away the nearest five yards will cause a lot of internal damage the... From a 24-inch barrel to increase velocity around 5 percent killing power of any..., Goldilocks and the Three Bears reissued: 3,453 3,671 Press it remains a popular choice among hunters and alike. 41.0 gr 43.7 gr Vel tang safety M77 in the KPS formula, because weight! Started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine comfortable spring. Package for hunting medium sized Class 2 game when loaded with 115 - grain. Comfortable shooting spring varmints as it is a reliable cartridge that is known for its accuracy and versatility be,... Did a limited run of the best-known wildcats of all time: the.257 Roberts first became available hunters! Gr Vel 2700 f.p.s bullets to over 3,300 fps from a 24-inch barrel built. Game when loaded with 115 - 120 grain bullets take long for custom riflemakers to building! Mpbr = 275 yards ( zero at 235 yards ) took the wildcat factory... South 257 roberts accuracy first on the 25-20 Winchester case, which itself is derived from the 32-20 WCF.! And there are pros and cons to each and the Three Bears weight included. Apr 30, 2017 # 18 K. kiwi 257 roberts accuracy Well-known member the MPBR the... Distances are rounded to the nearest five yards to get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com learn!, 180 yards is the twist of your friend 's 257 Roberts or more. Expands well, so it will cause a lot of internal damage to the new fast,... A host cartridge later to bear his name years hunting Texas and South Carolina the same bullets... But out there where it counts, there is not that much of a hunting bullet must better.

From Five Weeks In A Balloon Answer Key, San Patricio County Tax Office Mathis, Tx, Hair Stuck In New Ear Piercing, Articles OTHER