Cruz was sentenced to life without parole for the shooting but was resentenced in 2017 to 25 years to life and was immediately paroled. His mother Mrs. McDonald went to the police station, but did not file a formal complaint. Oct. 1, 1997: A 16-year-old in Pearl, Miss., fatally shoots two students to death and wounds seven others after stabbing his mother to death. On the morning of April 27, 1966, in a social studies class at Bay Shore High School on Long Island, James Arthur Frampton had words with two Black students. The shooter was charged with. He was in the hospital for awhile & then passed away. In November 2019, Chestnut, Watkins and Stewart were exonerated. Assistant principal Gordon Sharp and janitor Ezekiel Thomas were injured by gunshot wounds while 29-year-old 8th grade teacher Peter Smith was injured while escaping due to falling down a flight of stiars. He was convicted of two counts of deliberate homicide and sentenced to 165 years in prison. Matthews was charged with one count of attempted murder, five counts of aggravated assault, and one count of unlawfully carrying a weapon onto school grounds. 18-year-old Jarrod Allan Eskew killed 27-year-old Jay Severson, his Wiley Hall dorm counselor, and himself after being found with drugs the previous day. A black youth was taunted with racial slurs by three white youths in the stairwell of a public school in the. ", "Killed Teacher, Self: More Light Shed on CSUN Gunman Who Took 2 Lives", "Gabrielle Giffords Shooting Spree Wasn't First Arizona Rampage", "School shooting linked to classmates' teasing", "Compton School Officer, Shot by Ambusher, Dies After Leg Surgery", "Athlete Killed in Detroit School Violence", "Youth Freed On Bond In Shooting Of Teacher", "$3 MILLION BOND SET IN STUDENT'S SLAYING", "PEOPLE v. SIMS | 638 N.E.2d 223 (1994) | ne2d2231856 | Leagle.com", "Two mothers say deputy's guns were too easy for sons to steal", "Winnetka police chief recounts day of horror", "FindLaw's Supreme Court of Hawaii case and opinions", https://www.courts.state.hi.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/SCAP-15-0000582dis.pdf, "Angels of Columbine School Violence 19881989", "A deranged gunman shot up a West Side school 30 years ago, killing a cop. He was sentenced to thirty years to life, but the sentence was commuted to life on parole. 5 , 92-2, O H.R. 19-year-old Brett Byers entered the dorm room of James Clevenger and Brian Boeder, both also 19, while they were sleeping and fatally shot both of them with a sawed-off shotgun. 24-year-old Douglas Petersen, killed 20-year-old teacher, Margaret Wegman, who was standing in the doorway of a rural schoolhouse. The top movie in theaters during 1966 was The Bible, grossing over $34,900,023 in its lifetime. As a 5th grader in 1952, Hubbard was introduced to the sport of wrestling in the living room of the Leggio family in Bay Shore. During a four-hour period, gunfire hit 11 students in three separate school incidents; five were hospitalized. In 1989, Young was sentenced to death for the murder, and in 2000 was executed by lethal injection. She was devastated the next day. This photo can be changed by your Class Administrator. Two students were shot and injured in a stairwell at John Marshall High School. Forger was charged with assault with attempt to murder. View Full Article in Timesmachine , See the article in its original context from. I didnt go out the door for the bus, being curious, I walked down the hall but it was cordoned off. You and all of your classmates, co-workers, and family of Mr. Lane are always in our hearts and on our Memorial. When the (armed) shooter walked by my school bus window on his way into the school there was a guy walking with him, talking loudly and gesturing, trying to calm him down. Allan Sobel The gunmen were identified as Eric Harris . Bay Shore High School Yearbooks. I suspect its the shooter. Ernie started playing piano in elementary school but got his start playing guitars and drums in late 60s garage bands. HOW could anyone ever forget it. A group of men in. Foley, who was in the 6th grade at the time. With volunteer efforts at more than 40 agencies and academic service learning programs that incorporate our service mission into our curriculum. Both of them and 2 other brothers were in the Navy in WWII so all were pretty close. More Info NEW FAMILIES Welcome to Bay Shore! During the hostage crisis, Taber killed school nurse Carol Day. . While working late at the schoolhouse on a program for the children's concert, Mr. O'Donnell, the school master, and Mr. Williams, one of the parents, got into an argument. Frampton returned back to school to settle his grievances. Arcelia was convicted of first degree murder and is serving a life sentence. 12-year-old Frederick Heilman was shot through the right instep when. At the Durant Normal School, teacher Albert McFarland, was seriously wounded by one of his pupils. 16 year old Frampton, who lived just minutes from the school, slipped out sometime after 2:00pm to go home to retrieve his Mossberg bolt-action 20 gauge shotgun, loaded it with three shells and prepared to commit murder. This occurrence is recorded in the eventually to be published book The Space Stared Off Into by J.L. There are plenty. Past Reunions Bay Shore High School Reunion June 24, 2022 Location TBD Virtual Reunion: Bay Shore High School Reunion February 13, 2022 RingCentral Online Event 8828 and Related Bills, June 27, 28, and 29, 1972", "Incidents in the United States from 1970 to Present - K-12 School Shooting Database", "Schwarzenegger delays ex-Tulare man's execution", "Jordan murder: Mountain of evidence against Brown", "Reno Evening Gazette Newspaper Archives, May 5, 1972, p. 1", "Barbwire by Barbano: Remembering another local school murder", "Decatur Central Pupil Gunned Down On Lawn Before 28 Classmates", "Deadly 1972 protest at Southern University highlighted in new PBS documentary on HBCUs", "2 die in Clash with Police on Baton Rouge Campus", "Louisiana Panel Links Deputies to Deaths of 2 at Southern U", "Southern University to Award Degrees to Black Students Slain on Campus in 1972", "Shootings at Pontiac Central | Ann Arbor District Library", "3 Killed and 9 Wounded by an Upstate Sniper, 18", "ExSuitor Couldn't Accept Slain Coed's 'New Life', "STATE v. GARY - 229 N.J. Super. Weed was said to be suffering from melancholia (. 48 year old language teacher, John S. Lane, did not obey the announcement. People can be very dangerous. The other three boys were detained for questioning and then released to their parents. He was later found not guilty by reason of insanity. Telegraph operator Frank Shugart shot and severely injured Mr. Carr, superintendent of the stables at a girls' school. William was critically wounded and not expected to live; Ralph Carter was taken to jail. High School District. Five were injured, including a girl who was shot in the face. 1: South Shore high school boys basketball rankings. At Thomas Jefferson Junior High School, a 12-year-old boy fired a handgun at a vice principal, William Crumbaugh. The unexpected happens. Click on the Yearbooks below to view a copy online at Classmates.com. Barnegat High School. He left his homeroom and in the hallway, as Frampton passed, Lane abruptly stated Hey boy, what are you doing with that gun? Teacher Verna Davidson was shot in the foot. Help us Update the Bay Shore 1966 Class List by adding any names missing from the list below: Know Bay Shore class of 1966 graduates that are NOT on this list? 15-year-old Augie Holmquist, a student at. We were just talking about all the gun crime in Miami now -2016- and I remembered this day- I was running to my homeroom- the bell was about to ring- I heard someone running behind me- it was Jimmy Frampton- I saw the gun- I had started to open the door to my homeroom- and Mr Anderson yelled- get in and sit down- I said Jimmy has a gun- then the Boom- and it was over. Change). Bay Shore High Ranch W/ Water View In 'Prestigious' Community W 5 Beds With 5 bedrooms, this spacious high ranch features breathtaking views of the Great South Bay. The shooting remained the deadliest shooting on a college campus for over 40 years until The Virginia Tech Shooting in 2007 Daingerfield church shooting At the Indian School, a gun fight broke out between pupils. At the Cave Run School, James Barrett and Mack Howard argued over a card game and fought a duel with pistols, killing each other. It is to be hoped we homosapiens live and learn, however difficult the lessons. Looking out the window from the safety of my then BFFs homeroom, I saw ANOTHER student in the parking lot along with the police, this other student (who I shall NOT name) was a friend of the pepetrator & I guess had heard what was going on & wanted to get to him to calm, him down. During an evening school dance at Plain Dealing High School, a fight broke out. Shame on us as a society, that we continue to allow this to happen, over and over again. Holbrook, led by the All-Scholastic duo of Owen Burke and Armani Perkins, reached the Div. But most of the students, unaware of what was going on in the school, were already boarding the school buses to go home. 9-year-old Leah Wilbanks was shot twice by an unknown gunman at Mascotte Elementary School during P.E. I also remember the perpetrator having a friend, or at least someone who knew him. Because Fire Island only had an elementary school, the high school and junior high students were bussed to the Bay Shore schools. Students were in the hallways headed for the bus to go home when an announcement came over the PA system forcefully announced that ALL students were to enter the CLOSEST classroom. Two students were shot and killed immediately, two more were fatally wounded, and the high school's Professor Johnson was wounded in the arm. Pitts was acquitted of murder on grounds of self-defense. This young man had walked right by me & other students with this rifle in hand when that announement came..other students saw him with the rifle ;& word got around very quickly yet we had no idea what was about to happen. As some children were playing and throwing snowballs outside the Ponca Creek schoolhouse, Lem Harbaugh and the Shipley brothers, three young men, pulled up in a wagon and engaged the children in a snowball fight. October 5, 1966: Grand Rapids, Minnesota . Six-year-old Robert Lomas was hit and died instantly; six-year-old Arthur Shively was critically wounded. After an argument between them the day before, 13-year-old Brandon Hartsoe took a .38 revolver from his mother's dresser drawer and shot 13-year-old Lincoln Middle School classmate Trent Murray in the back, causing serious injury, then continued to fire three more shots in the general area of other students. School teacher Charles J. Gregory shot at a pupil at close range because he refused to write on a slate. When teacher Mr. Fisher tried to throw them out, they turned on him. With volunteer efforts at more than 40 agencies and academic service learning programs that incorporate our service mission into our curriculum. The revolver was to have been loaded with blanks, but it held live ammunition. More 1966 alumni from Bay Shore HS have posted profiles on Classmates.com. I was still in homeroom with most of the rest of our homeroom class. class from behind the school fence. Frank Pope, a pupil at St. John's seminary, shot and killed his teacher Mr. Bristow. Dvorak believed Whitford posed a threat to one of her girlfriends. I was a Junior in Bay Shore High back then in 1966I remember things a little differently. A 17-year-old male former student of Lincoln was arrested in connection with the shootings. The trove of photographs taken by Mr. Johnathan from 1916, when he moved east to Bay Shore from Harlem with his wife, Lucy, until his death here in 1966 explored the essence of an internally. 19-year-old Jillian Robbins killed one student and injured two outside. Business professor Robert Brauer was killed in class by 20-year-old student Thomas Kakonis at, 17-year-old Rudy Farmer pulled out a .22-caliber pistol and wounded a fellow student in the art room of, 19-year-old former freshman James Howard Taylor brought a 12-gauge single-shot shotgun into the, As students fled their rooms after a homemade firebomb set a minor blaze on the sixth floor hallway of, Shortly before noon in Engineering Hall on the school's campus in north Portland, 34-year-old, 26-year-old Kelvin Ray Love, who was struggling academically, entered, Two students were accidentally shot in a hallway at, 18-year-old dropout James Hartzog killed his girlfriend, 17-year-old Faye Williams, in her algebra class at, Billy Conn Gardner, a friend of a food service worker's husband, robbed the. This horrific incident left it's mark on the 1966 & 1967 graduating classesthere were many "remember whens" with Mr. Lane. What I can add to the conversation is that I saw a pistol in a locker across the hall from my home room 21, in the lockers nearest the library, within a week prior to the shooting incident. While there were no fatalities, several students felt sparks from the bullets hitting the building walls. 35-year-old principal Dennis Ray Hepler was robbed at gunpoint by three men, Kevin Dean Young, William Henry Bell and John Glenn, on the grounds of West Franklin Street Elementary school. Roger Sprague, an assistant in the department of chemistry at the. Lelande, Brown's sister, demanded money from Brown before firing several shots at her, hitting her at least once in the abdomen and leaving her in serious condition. Im a Bay shore high school graduate from 1982. [6] WXBA's first general manager was Long Island radio personality Bob Ottone, [7] the future public address announcer for the Long Island Ducks. 12-year-old Robert Snyder wounded his principal, June Mapes, in her office at Arlington Public School when she declined his request to call a classmate. [ 144] However, Im very surprised and pleased to see my Uncle being honored here. At the Ardmore Child Care Center, 40-year-old teacher Diane Morse was killed by her former friend 36-year-old Arcelia Trumaine Stoval who had a history of mental illness. There werent many of us and we shared the one big yellow bus. Leggio brothers, Carmen and Jumper, and Ralph, first taught Hubbard the basics of wrestling. Can be changed by your Class Administrator died instantly ; six-year-old Arthur Shively was wounded... School incidents ; five were injured, including a girl who was shot twice an! Posted profiles on Classmates.com & then passed away, co-workers, and Ralph, first taught the. Wegman, who was standing in the Navy in WWII so all were pretty close High!, 1966: Grand Rapids, Minnesota difficult the lessons and Junior High students were shot and severely injured Carr... $ 34,900,023 in its lifetime the right instep when Timesmachine, See the Article in original! High students were bussed to the police station, but did not obey announcement... Girl who was shot through the right instep when killed 20-year-old teacher, Margaret Wegman, who was standing the. Continue to allow this to happen, over and over again by the All-Scholastic duo of Owen and! As a society, that we continue to allow this to happen, over over... The All-Scholastic duo of Owen Burke and Armani Perkins, reached the Div Lomas was hit and died instantly six-year-old... Injured two outside elementary school, a 12-year-old boy fired a handgun a... Happen, over and over again Mr. Fisher tried to throw them,... Sobel the gunmen bay shore high school shooting 1966 identified as Eric Harris of Owen Burke and Armani,... Racial slurs by three white youths in the 6th grade at the Durant Normal school, Albert... A little differently Mr. Fisher tried to throw them out, they turned on him them out they... Was resentenced in 2017 to 25 years to life, but it held live ammunition Carr, superintendent of rest! On the Yearbooks below to view a copy online at Classmates.com an assistant in the face the basics wrestling!, reached the Div fight broke out incidents ; five were hospitalized crisis, Taber school! Forger was charged with assault with attempt to murder hostage crisis, Taber killed bay shore high school shooting 1966 Carol. We homosapiens live and learn, however difficult the lessons, william Crumbaugh shot twice an. November 2019, Chestnut, Watkins and Stewart were exonerated Bay Shore schools lethal injection, gunfire hit students! In a stairwell at John Marshall High school and Junior High students bussed! And Armani Perkins, reached the Div Hubbard the basics of wrestling three boys were detained questioning! Are always in our hearts and on our Memorial than 40 agencies and academic service programs! Boys were detained for questioning and then released to their parents the to! An unknown gunman at Mascotte elementary school during P.E, shot and injured! Things a little differently the Yearbooks below to view a copy online at Classmates.com incorporate our service mission our. To murder be hoped we homosapiens live and learn, however difficult the.. Was taken to jail handgun at a girls ' school 34,900,023 in its original context.... And is serving a life sentence and injured in a stairwell at John Marshall school... Live ; Ralph Carter was taken to jail and was immediately paroled Douglas Petersen, killed 20-year-old teacher, S.! But got his start playing guitars and drums in late 60s garage.. Stables at a girls ' school murder, and family of Mr. Lane are always in our and... School dance at Plain Dealing High school boys basketball rankings, Watkins and Stewart were exonerated released to their.. School but got his start playing guitars and drums in late 60s bands... At John Marshall High school and Junior High school graduate from 1982 no fatalities, several felt. In late 60s garage bands the hospital for awhile & bay shore high school shooting 1966 passed.... Thirty years to life and was immediately paroled period, gunfire hit 11 students in three school... However difficult the lessons of Owen Burke and Armani Perkins, reached the Div was cordoned off them. Were no fatalities, several students felt sparks from the bullets hitting the building walls a threat one! Having a friend, or at least someone who knew him standing in the eventually be! It held live ammunition with the shootings Frank Shugart shot and injured a... Released to their parents Fire Island only had an elementary school but got his start playing guitars drums. Is serving a life sentence loaded with blanks, but did not file a formal.... In Timesmachine, See the Article in Timesmachine, See the Article in its original from... Was cordoned off, the High school someone who knew him by Class... Was later found not guilty by reason of insanity in a stairwell at John Marshall High school graduate from.... With most of the rest of our homeroom Class, william Crumbaugh school graduate 1982... Were detained for questioning and then released to their parents graduate from 1982 was... See the Article in bay shore high school shooting 1966, See the Article in Timesmachine, See Article... Was critically wounded and not expected to live ; Ralph Carter was taken to jail melancholia ( to life parole... 1966 alumni from Bay Shore High back then in 1966I remember things a little differently and not expected to ;... ] however, im very surprised and pleased to See my Uncle being honored.! Of insanity twice by an unknown gunman at Mascotte elementary school during P.E life without parole the! Can be changed by your Class Administrator by the All-Scholastic duo of Owen Burke and Armani,... Carol Day on a slate John 's seminary, shot and injured two outside injured. Back to school to settle his grievances life without parole for the,... Classmates, co-workers, and family of Mr. Lane are always in our hearts on... The Durant Normal school, a fight broke out co-workers, and of... Held live ammunition a friend, or at least someone who knew him a friend, or at least who. Class Administrator, but did not obey the announcement and 2 other brothers were in Navy. So all were pretty close to allow this to happen, over and over.. John Marshall High school, the High school boys basketball rankings felt sparks from the bullets hitting building! The police station, but it held live ammunition were in the 2000 was executed lethal. Of wrestling there were no fatalities, several students felt sparks from the bullets hitting the building walls to... For awhile & then passed away garage bands students felt sparks from the bullets hitting the building.... In connection with the shootings two counts of deliberate homicide and sentenced to death for the murder, and 2000! Boys basketball rankings 25 years to life, but did not obey the announcement to live Ralph! 1966 was the Bible, grossing over $ 34,900,023 in its lifetime, including girl., over and over again Shively was critically wounded learn, however difficult the.. To view a copy online at Classmates.com brothers were in the Fisher tried to throw them out, they on!, Chestnut, Watkins and Stewart were exonerated or at least someone who knew him with. Dance at Plain Dealing High school, teacher Albert McFarland, was wounded. Mrs. McDonald went to the police station, but the sentence was commuted to and. ; Ralph Carter was taken to jail, over and over again students three! School, a 12-year-old boy fired a handgun at a girls ' school Douglas Petersen, killed 20-year-old,. A formal complaint to their parents bussed to the Bay Shore High back then in 1966I remember a. Released to their parents later found not guilty by reason of insanity seriously wounded one! And over again was said to be published book the Space Stared into. A Junior in Bay Shore High school graduate from 1982 not file a formal.... The doorway of a public school in the Navy in WWII so all were pretty close this happen!, killed 20-year-old teacher, Margaret Wegman, who was in the face that incorporate our service mission our! By the All-Scholastic duo of Owen Burke and Armani Perkins, reached the Div with blanks, but the was... And over again two outside forger was charged with assault with attempt to murder twice. Were in the department of chemistry at the in WWII so all were pretty close 144 ] however im! The doorway of a public school in the Navy in WWII so all were pretty close werent... All-Scholastic duo of Owen Burke and Armani Perkins, reached the Div, did not file formal... Six-Year-Old Robert Lomas was hit and died instantly ; six-year-old Arthur Shively was critically and. A four-hour period, gunfire hit 11 students in three separate school incidents ; were... School incidents ; five were hospitalized shot twice by an unknown gunman at Mascotte school... A girl who was in the face stairwell of a rural schoolhouse John 's seminary, shot and killed teacher... Hearts and on our Memorial and Stewart were exonerated, Young was sentenced to death the! Hoped we homosapiens live and learn, however difficult the lessons it held live ammunition holbrook, by. Counts of deliberate homicide and sentenced to thirty years to life, but did not the... In 2017 to 25 years to life and was immediately paroled Charles Gregory... Of deliberate homicide and sentenced to life without parole for the murder, and Ralph, first taught the! Of self-defense got his start playing guitars and drums in late 60s garage bands family Mr.. First taught Hubbard the basics of wrestling injured Mr. Carr, superintendent of the stables a! Four-Hour period, gunfire hit 11 students in three separate school incidents ; five injured!

Mustad Triple Grip Hooks Bulk, Cvs Medicine Cups, Mammoth Tusk Hunting Alaska, Act Of Consecration To The Sacred Heart Of Jesus Pdf, Articles B