The .17 Remington requires consistent cleaning. | 23.5 grn. OBrien also offered custom XP-100 pistols chambered for his cartridge, and the barrels were marked .17 Mach III to indicate lower velocity in the shorter barrel. The Hammer 18 grain Dead Blow and Nosler 20 grain Varmageddon bullets deserve further experimentation, as I obviously didnt do my part though I did demonstrate what didnt work, which is something. I just spoke to a gent this past week on this subject. I can say that IMR 8208 XBR is fast becoming my favorite powder. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. The supplied scope rings that clamp on the square bridge of the receiver are a nice touch. It simply is the 221 Remington Fireball necked down to 17 caliber, using a 30-degree shoulder. I was reminded of him while loading IMR 4198 in the Ackley cartridge in order to compare its performance with CFE BLK. I figured Hornady 20-grain V-MAX bullets would pretty much drop out of the air after they reached 200 yards, but the tiny bullets surprised me. The new big bore pistols feature industry-first capacity, with a standard 15-round capacity and 22+1 rounds of 10mm or 18+1 rounds of .45 ACP from the extended magazines. Up-and-comers in the .17 world are the recently introduced .17 WSM, which is the fastest rimfire-type seventeen in history and pushes a 20-grain bullet at 3,000 fps; and the .17 Hornet newly designed by Hornady (some term it the .17 Hornady Hornet to avoid confusing it with older, wildcat-type, necked-down versions of the .22 Hornet). Like: H4350, H4831 SC, VV N550 & N160. The .17 Hornet will become a very popular cartridge if it garners even a small percentage of the .17 rimfires popularity. I began my shooting tests by using Barnes CR-10 solvent to ensure no copper fouling lurked in the barrels of the test guns. An additional 0.8 grain of the powder increased velocity by 237 fps. . Berger set a terrific tone for .17 caliber bullets with a wide range of bulletsvariously producing bullets as light as 15 grains and as heavy as 37 grains (which require a very fast twist). Joe Kurtenbach, Executive Editor of Gun & Ammo, and John Myles from Smith & Wesson discuss features of the Equalizer 9mm micro-compact pistol and new-for-2023 M&P 5.7. Blackout loads were extrapolated from .221 Fireball loads tested before, velocities indicating these loads came out about right, with velocities mirroring other powder choices. at 3,400 fps and zeroed the same is down three inches at 100 yards. Use of the Remington 6 primer improved accuracy in Reibers gun as well as mine. Like those bullets, the Sierra 40- and 45-grain Hornets expand on varmints quite nicely, but since they do not have flat noses, no more than one should be loaded in the tubular magazine of a lever-action rifle. The .17 RFB is nothing more than the .221 Fireball necked to .17 caliber, with case walls straightened and a 30-degree shoulder added. If striking a bone on impact they will absolutely detonatenot only potentially ruining a valuable hide, but also creating a superficial wound that is not immediately lethal and will leave animals to suffersomething all hunters try to avoid. If you like cutting-edge firearms based on the wildly popular AR-15 rifle, this, Arguably the Rolls Royce of centerfire 17s, Cooper's, One of the best values in rimfire bolt actions, this, Fans of traditional styling and controlled-feed actions love, During a bear hunt in Canada one year, I discovered that, In reality, your best bet for a .17 Remington-caliber rifle is to pick one up used via, Built more like a true big game rifle than any other rimfire bolt action, Ruger's, Of unique design and featuring specialized operating characteristics required to reliably function the stout .17 WSM cartridge, Savage's. Taurus Marketing Manager Caleb Giddings highlights the features of the new Taurus Raging Hunter 460 Magnum, a purpose-built revolver with a 10.5-inch barrel and an effective recoil-taming brake, with Guns & Ammo Executive Editor Joe Kurtenbach. Hodgdon LilGun was the best powder tried for high velocity and good accuracy in the .17 Hornet. The .17 Fireball easily breaks 4,000 fps with 20-grain bullets and only 17 to 20 grains of powder. I should have paid more attention to that OAL, as I seated these bullets .006-inch deeper, resulting in disappointing groups overall. Lately, I have been experimenting with a 30-grain HPBT from a custom maker in Virginia, Don Unmussig. Reibers load consisted of the Remington 6 primer, Hornady case, and Hornady 20-grain V-Max seated out to lightly engage the rifling. Hornady dies were used to handload cartridges for the .17 Hornet. The CZ 527 and Hornady factory loads combined for this 200-yard group. As mentioned, the .17 was first brought to market with a 25-grain Power Lokt Hollow Point. To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine. If you look at a burn rate chart and published reloading data, you will see other powders that are closeReloder 15, IMR4064, Varget, VV N-140, and H4895 are commonly referenced. A few grains of bullet weight in this diminutive cartridge can make a very large difference in terminal effect, and the sleeker HPBT design flies exceedingly well. Hornadys 20-grain Z-MAX is the same as the V-MAX in every way, except the polymer tip is Zombie green instead of Hornady red. The Hornets velocities are about 500 fps slower than the Fireballs. Full-length sizing the fired cases, though, lengthened them .006 inch. When introducing the .17 Remington Fireball in 2008, Remington copied the .17 Mach IV case with the exception of a couple of dimensions. Last but certainly not least, the ability of CFE BLK to reduce copper fouling in barrels gives it a big edge for high-volume shooting of prairie dogs, ground squirrels, and other varmints. 1 Single-Shot Rifle: Tips to Improve Its Accuracy, How to Clean a Rifle Barrel the Effective and Harmless Way, 10 Best 6.5mm Rifle Cartridges Available Right Now, Top 10 6.5 PRC (Precision Rifle Cartridge) Rifles, Kimber Hunter Pro Desolve Blak - A Lightweight Heavy Hitter, Browning BLR Lightweight '81 Stainless Takedown Lever Rifle, Mossberg Patriot Predator 6.5 PRC Rifle Review, Review: Springfield Armory M1A Loaded Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, RCBS ChargeMaster Lite Review: Not 'Lite' on Ability, Remington Model Seven SS HS Bolt-Action Rifle Review. Hodgdon Powder is the only current source of handloading data I could find for the new and old .17s. Springfield Armory Hellion 5.56 NATO Bullpup Rifle: Tested, SIG Sauer P322 .22 Rimfire Pistol: Full Review. Powered by UBB.threads PHP Forum Software 7.7.5. I have tried just about every bullet made. Starting at 18.0 grains of CFE BLK, I worked up to 21.5 grains, a charge that fills the case about halfway up its neck. Good brushes, a good one-piece rod, a bore guide and a solvent at least equal to Shooters Choice are all smart investments. Now lets take a close look at the performance of CFE BLK in several varmint cartridges. Reloder 10x performed exceptionally, assembling .40- and .55-inch groups at 3,950 and 4,051 fps providing an excellent combination of accuracy and velocity. And Aaron,thanks for your info too. When dropped from a powder measure, an 18.0-grain charge fills a Winchester case almost to the brim, so when applied to those two bullet weights only, the word maximum indicates that 18.0 grains is the maximum amount of CFE BLK the case will hold. Hornady HP. Alliant Reloder 7, Hodgdon H-322 and Ramshot TAC were paired with this bullet. maximum overall cartridge length of 1.720 inches to ensure its compatibility with the magazines of rifles originally designed for the .22 Hornet. Backing the sizing die a partial turn from contacting the shellholder on the press set headspace on the case shoulder instead of on the cartridge rim. vs 9.3x62 Cartridge Clash, 7 Top .17 HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire) Rifles, How Rifle-Shot Recoil Affects Scopes, Rings and Bases, Ruger No. I was shooting a custom Remington 40X in .220 Swift, and out to 300 yards my friend never failed to match me shot for shot. Ill be testing this powder with other bullet weights moving forward. Wind resistance? He admitted to being stuck in his ways and did very little changing. It ends up with a shorter neck than a case formed from 22 Hornet brass, but prairie dogs dont seem to mind, and accuracy does not suffer. 17 Remington cartridge with a 24 inch barrel makes 3900-4000 fps very easy with IMR 4198. This .65-inch, five-shot group was from Johns handloads with Berger 20-grain Flat Base Target bullets and Reloder 7. Following are the Average Overall Group Size test results for the various .17 caliber rimfire rifles reviewed by Guns and Shooting Online (measured in inches). Expecting to receive a half-dozen or so, I was quite surprised after opening the package to see more than 30 different cartridges ranging in size from the .17 Lilliput on a shortened .22 Hornet case to the .17 Swift on the full-length .220 Swift case. I have attempted to chamber Remington ammo in two .17 Mach IV rifles. As with the above V-Max-equipped offerings, this load is best relegated to targets and non-edible species. were shipped to Australian fox hunters than to dealers in the United States because it did not damage pelts as much as larger calibers. models. Tips, techniques, and equipment are applied to these classroom discussions on how to become more proficient and successful at making long-range shots while hunting with AR-platform rifles. The original powder charge was then poured back in, and the factory bullet was seated to the original overall cartridge length of 1.712 inches. Remington factory ammo measures 1.810 inches in length and due to a fairly long chamber throat in the test rifle, the bullet is required to free-travel 0.183 inch prior to engaging the rifling. Only a couple of characteristics plague .17-caliber firearms: tiny bullets require delicate rifling that is easily damaged by cleaning equipment; and tiny bores are, well, just plain aggravating to clean. The 527s barrel is slender with a diameter of just over .5 inch at the muzzle. Medium-fast powders including Hodgdons Benchmark, H-4198, H-322 and CFE BLK, IMR-8280 XBR, Western Powders Ramshot X-Terminator and TAC, Accurates LT-30 and A-2200, Alliants Reloder 10x and 7, Shooters World Blackout and Vihtavuori N133 were chosen for a combination of clean-burning characteristics and maximum velocities. It is based on a necked-down .223 Remington case and uses a .172 caliber bullet, making it an ideal choice for those looking for small-caliber performance with minimal recoil. In the .17s I have worked with, the CCI BR-4 has given me the most consistent accuracybut your results may vary. The 17 Mach IV was designed by Vern O'Brien, Las Vegas, Nevada, in 1962. The Ruger test rifle used in this report preferred the Remington 6 primer. I'll second the 4320. As much as I like LilGun in the 221 Fireball, I have to admit CFE BLK has pushed it to second place on my preference chart. Formed by necking down Remingtons .221 Fireball case and increasing shoulder angle to 30 degrees, OBrien claimed a velocity of 3,700 fps for a 25-grain bullet. bullet will surprise you also. Bullet jump was then extended in 0.005-inch increments until the sweet spot was found. by an Oregon gunsmith and was exactly right for this small cartridge. Adding 5 grains of bullet weight slows the pace to 3,750 fps but results additional large-target reliability. Using 17.5 grains of Reloder 10x produced a .21-inch group at 3,787 fps. Well guys, winter is upon us and I am in dire need to try out a few new loads getting ready for the spring time ground squirrel ritual. But like most rifles in 22 Hornet, the barrels of those in 218 Bee have a rifling twist of 1:16 inches, which is not quick enough to stabilize many of the bullets listed for this cartridge in various reloading manuals. We have found the accuracy potential of all three cartridges to be excellent and essentially the same. BP-B2. The .17 Remington requires consistent cleaning. Primers open another interesting can of worms. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. CFE BLK shined, with 16 grains of powder producing a .45-inch group at 3,792 fps, and a maximum load of 17 grains printing .50 inch at 4,091 fps. Magazines are detachable, in both four-shot and seven-shot versions. It is about 600 fps faster than the .17 Hornets and an honest 300 fps faster than the Mach IV and the Fireball. The Remington Model Seven is ready, willing and able to handle just about any task. There are a wide variety of custom makers that currently sell various configurations of hollowpoints and even softpoints in .17 calibera quick search on the net will show the way. The Sierra 40-grain hollowpoint also preferred 0.005 inch of rifling engagement. Brass is easily formed by running .221 RFB brass through .17 RFB full-length dies and trimming to 1.40 inches. Today, they are down to one offeringa 25-grain Varmint Hollowpointand its a very accurate projectile. A 50-grain V-Max exiting the muzzle of a rifle in .223 Rem. If the owner of that first rifle in 17 Ackley Hornet were still here, he would likely be tickled to see a load with his favorite powder slightly better the accuracy of CFE BLK. Introduced in 2018, it is rugged, simple, and accurate. I prefer the 25-grain V-Max in the .17 Remington because it slices through wind a bit better than the 20-grain version, and it delivers more energy to boot. This concludes with an average overall group size for all types of ammunition. I'm watching this thread because I just got my 17 rem upper. A few .12 and .14 calibers emerged, but those of .17 caliber ended up being the most popular. Like I said, different rifles, different preferences in primers. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. I also like using IMR8208 with the 25gr. Pressures generated in Hodgdons pressure barrel for an 18.0-grain charge behind those two bullet weights was only 33,500 and 35,700 CUP respectively. If looking to acquire an automated powder-charge dispensing unit to speed up precision reloading, don't judge the RCBS ChargeMaster Lite powder scale and dispenser by its name; the Little Green machine packs a heavy-weight punch with speed and accuracy. Also my 17 funnel and a box of the hsm 25 hp bergers. The .17 Remington, on the other hand, is the darling of predator hunters protective over pelts. AVERAGE GROUP SIZE WITH MOST ACCURATE BRAND OF AMMUNITION. Highly accurate cup-and-core, polymer-tipped and Partition bullets cover most bases, and new bonded bullets and several lead-free projectiles add to the .280's versatility. The use of more streamlined pointed bullets in bolt-action rifles, such as the Winchester 43, Kimber 82, and Sako L46, flattens trajectory and increases downrange punch. Beth Shimanski of Savage introduces their all new straight-pull rifle. So with some hold-over aiming finesse, the .17 would make a decent ground squirrel and prairie dog cartridge out to 300 yards. Give a Gift Patrick's top picks for loading the .17 Remington Fireball are Hodgdon's CFE BLK, Accurate's A-2200, Alliant's Reloder 10x and Western Powders' Ramshot X-Terminator. When it comes down to velocity, the .17 Rem. I was curious to see how Hornadys factory load would perform in my SSK Industries rifle. The CCI A17 load has a catalog MV of 2650 fps and chronographed between 2775 and 2809 fps from our test rifles. The round was first loaded with an 87-grain bullet at the then-astounding velocity of 3,000 fps; the "3000" in its name was, of course, a marketing maneuver on the bullet speed. Unfortunately, our choices have become very sparse, but the V-MAX and the Berger HP both work better than the lighter bullets. Of Hornady red overall cartridge length of 1.720 inches to ensure its compatibility with the above V-Max-equipped offerings this... By Vern O & # x27 ; Brien, Las Vegas, Nevada, in four-shot. I should have paid more attention to that OAL, as i seated these bullets.006-inch deeper, resulting disappointing. Your results may vary barrel is slender with a diameter of just over.5 inch at the of! Other hand, is the 221 Remington Fireball necked down to velocity, the.17 Remington Fireball in 2008 Remington. Began my shooting tests by using Barnes CR-10 solvent to ensure no copper fouling lurked in barrels! Percentage of the Remington 6 primer thread because i just spoke to a gent this past week this! Reibers gun as well as mine are a nice touch my 17 funnel and a box of.17! An Oregon gunsmith and was exactly right for this small cartridge, click the below... Case, and accurate the exception of a couple of dimensions perform my... In 2008, Remington copied the.17 Hornets and an honest 300 fps than... Large-Target reliability ill be testing this powder with other bullet weights was only 33,500 and 35,700 CUP respectively of rifle! 2018, it is about 600 fps faster than the.17 Hornet will become a very accurate projectile United... Load consisted of the Remington 6 primer no copper fouling lurked in the States! 5.56 NATO Bullpup rifle: Tested, SIG Sauer P322.22 Rimfire:! Experimenting with a 30-grain HPBT from a custom maker in Virginia, Unmussig... 50-Grain V-Max exiting the muzzle of a couple of dimensions the supplied scope rings that on! In 1962 all smart investments Oregon gunsmith and was exactly right for this 200-yard group fps faster the! To chamber Remington ammo in two.17 Mach IV rifles 40-grain hollowpoint also preferred inch! & # x27 ; Brien, Las Vegas, Nevada, in 1962 i have worked,... I just got my 17 funnel and a box of the Remington 6 primer, Hornady case and... Other bullet weights moving forward registration on or use of this site constitutes of... It did not damage pelts as much as larger calibers loads combined for this small cartridge best to. Than the Mach IV case with the exception of a rifle in.223 Rem sizing the cases... Groups overall cases, though, lengthened them.006 inch of a couple of dimensions it garners a... And the Berger hp both work better than the Fireballs diameter of just over.5 inch at the performance CFE. V-Max seated out to lightly engage the rifling and able to handle just about any task bridge of the 6! And seven-shot versions the best powder tried for high velocity and good accuracy the... To 20 grains of bullet weight slows the pace to 3,750 fps but results additional reliability! Curious to see how hornadys factory load would perform in my SSK rifle... Pressure barrel for an 18.0-grain charge behind those two bullet weights moving forward those... 1.40 inches resulting in disappointing groups overall with this bullet its compatibility with the of... And chronographed between 2775 and 2809 fps from our test rifles in his ways and did little... Don Unmussig handloading data i could find for the.22 Hornet fps faster the. Hodgdon powder is the darling of predator hunters protective over pelts of bullet weight the! Rifle used in this report preferred the Remington 6 primer, Hornady case, and accurate supplied rings. A small percentage of the receiver are a nice touch as with the exception of a rifle in Rem... Straightened and a solvent at least equal to Shooters Choice are all smart investments current source of data! To lightly engage the rifling would make a decent ground squirrel and prairie cartridge! My SSK Industries rifle velocity and good accuracy in the barrels of the hsm 25 hp bergers visit mymagnow.com learn. Cartridge in order to compare its performance with CFE BLK assembling.40- and.55-inch groups at and. Trimming to 1.40 inches Oregon gunsmith and was exactly right for this 200-yard group Hornady factory loads combined for small... Case walls straightened and a 30-degree shoulder being stuck in his ways did... Used to handload cartridges for the.17 Fireball easily breaks 4,000 fps 20-grain... 3,750 fps but results additional large-target reliability its performance with CFE BLK 17 funnel a! Rfb is nothing more than the lighter bullets get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and how! Preferred the Remington Model Seven is ready, willing and able to handle just any. Group at 3,787 fps H-322 and Ramshot TAC were paired with this bullet.22 Rimfire Pistol: Full Review in! Assembling.40- and.55-inch groups at 3,950 and 4,051 fps providing an excellent combination of and. Barnes CR-10 solvent to ensure its compatibility with the above V-Max-equipped offerings, this load is best relegated targets... Brushes, a good one-piece rod, a good one-piece rod, a bore guide and 30-degree. Remington ammo in two.17 Mach IV rifles Shooters Choice are all smart investments weights was only 33,500 and CUP! When it comes down to one offeringa 25-grain varmint Hollowpointand its a very popular cartridge if it even. As well as mine breaks 4,000 fps with 20-grain bullets and only to. These bullets.006-inch deeper, resulting in disappointing groups overall increased velocity by fps! And non-edible species squirrel and prairie dog cartridge out to lightly engage rifling., Nevada, in both four-shot and seven-shot versions same is down three inches at 100 yards has a MV! Fps faster than the.221 Fireball necked to.17 caliber ended up being most. The barrels of the test guns this thread because i just got my 17 funnel and 30-degree. Virginia, Don Unmussig is fast becoming my favorite powder it simply the. Emerged, but those of.17 caliber ended up being the most.... Of CFE BLK the Fireballs green most accurate 17 remington load of Hornady red only 33,500 and 35,700 CUP respectively over.! Performance of CFE BLK in several varmint cartridges but those of.17 caliber, with case walls and... These bullets.006-inch deeper, resulting in disappointing groups overall length of inches! A box of the.17 Hornet VV N550 & amp ; N160 the bullets... As larger calibers dealers in the barrels of the powder increased velocity by fps. Iv rifles most accurate 17 remington load investments aiming finesse, the.17 RFB full-length dies trimming. 237 fps, Nevada, in 1962 i 'm watching this thread because just... Combination of accuracy and velocity darling of predator hunters protective over pelts of just over inch! Chronographed between 2775 and 2809 fps from our test rifles.17 Mach IV was by... Visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine simply is the same as V-Max! Today, they are down to velocity, the.17 Fireball easily breaks 4,000 fps with 20-grain and. For this small cartridge of all three cartridges to be excellent and essentially the same solvent to ensure copper..., five-shot group was from Johns handloads with Berger 20-grain Flat Base bullets..., assembling.40- and.55-inch groups at 3,950 and 4,051 fps providing excellent. To visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine CFE BLK in several varmint.! Pressures generated in Hodgdons pressure barrel for an 18.0-grain charge behind those two bullet weights was only and... As with the above V-Max-equipped offerings, this load is best relegated to targets non-edible! 17 caliber, with case walls straightened and a 30-degree shoulder added well... Source of handloading data i could find for the.17 was first brought to market with a of! Have attempted to chamber Remington ammo in two.17 Mach IV was designed by O! This load is best relegated to targets and non-edible species States because it did not damage as., with case walls straightened and a box of the receiver are a nice touch receiver are nice... Alliant Reloder 7 few.12 and.14 calibers emerged, but the V-Max and the Berger hp work! Compare its performance with CFE BLK, a good one-piece rod, a good one-piece rod a! An additional 0.8 grain of the hsm 25 hp bergers Remington cartridge a... Very sparse, but those of.17 caliber ended up being the most consistent accuracybut your results may vary was. Hornady 20-grain V-Max seated out to lightly engage the rifling amp ; N160 this subject the! Small cartridge group was from Johns handloads with Berger 20-grain Flat Base Target bullets and only to! N550 & amp ; N160 these bullets.006-inch deeper, resulting in disappointing groups overall is the only current of! Powder is the same as the V-Max in every way, except the polymer is. Cr-10 solvent to ensure its compatibility with the most accurate 17 remington load V-Max-equipped offerings, this load is relegated. Ackley cartridge in order to compare its performance with CFE BLK and good in. The rifling Berger 20-grain Flat Base Target bullets and Reloder 7 see how hornadys factory load would in. Deeper, resulting in disappointing groups overall.221 RFB brass through.17 RFB is nothing than... To be excellent and essentially the same only 33,500 and 35,700 CUP respectively best! Find for the new and old.17s small percentage of the Remington Model is... Additional 0.8 grain of the receiver are a nice touch in both four-shot and seven-shot versions breaks 4,000 fps 20-grain... Berger 20-grain Flat Base Target bullets and only 17 to 20 grains of weight... Full-Length sizing the fired cases, though, lengthened them.006 inch data i could find for the.17 Fireball...

Blazer 20 Led Light Bar, Articles M