Mary Jane died in 1920, but Jennie was still living here when the second photo was taken around the late 1930s. It is still owned by the Loomis Chaffee School, and it stands as the oldest wood frame house in Connecticut, and the states second-oldest surviving building, after a stone 1639 house in Guilford. For a full look at the week's 10 oldest homes, just scroll on down. Address: 1339 Poquonock Ave. Wednesday Saturday, To make a Group Tour reservation, please call 860.688.3813 or email us at info@windsorhistoricalsociety.org. Extant: Yes Real Estate. Im a generational direct descendent from Joseph as well. Extant: Yes Address: 1075 Poquonock Ave. Year Built: 1790 Address:33 Meadow Rd. You wont want to miss it! | Saltbox named after the Acadians who lived there following 1755 deportation from Canada. Loomis, "Oldest Family in America to Hold Ancestral Estate in Perpetual Possession", Derek Strahan, "Loomis Homestead, Winsor, Connecticut" (February 14, 2018), Connecticut: A Guide to its Roads, Lore and People, Federal WPA Project, 1938 page 165, List of the oldest buildings in the United States, Black Horse Tavern (Old Saybrook, Connecticut), "Rediscovering the Oldest House in Greenwich", "East Lyme Historical Society website retrieved on 2009-05-11", "NRHP nomination for Deacon John Moore House", "Wallingford Historical Society website retrieved on 2009-05-11", Connecticut Landmarks website retrieved on 2009-05-12, "Deacon John Graves Foundation website retrieved on 2009-05-17", "Historic Buildings of Connecticut website retrieved on 2021-04-16", https://historicbuildingsct.com/loomis-homestead-1640/, https://lostnewengland.com/2018/02/loomis-homestead-windsor-connecticut/, "National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Elisha Pitkin House", "NRHP nomination for Jonathan Murray House", Front Parlour website retrieved on 2009-05-13, "Putnam Cottage website retrieved on 2009-05-23", "Using Tree Rings to Date Historic Guilford Buildings", "Stamford Historical Society website retrieved on 2009-05-12", Milford Historical website retrieved on 2009-05-12, "NRHP nomination for Abraham Coult House", "National Register of Historic Places Registration: John Glover House", "NRHP nomination for Pelatiah Leete House", "NRHP nomination for Raymond-Bradford Homestead", "Coventry Historical Society website retrieved on 2021-04-15", "CT Landmarks website retrieved on 2009-05-11", NRHP Inventory-Nomination: Black Horse Tavern, "Hyland House Museum website retrieved 2009-05-11", "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Ridgefield Center Historic District". Description: Black & white photo postcard depicting the Loomis Homestead in Windsor, CT. One of the oldest homes in the area, the house is located on the campus of the Loomis Chaffee School. Address:335 Palisado Ave. Windsor Historical Society Digital Library presents a collection of post cards which depict places and activities in Windsor, CT. Year Built: 1786 BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY NE PROP. LAST PHASE LOTS ARE GOING FAST! Her dog Cece is the best dog in the whole world. Extant: Yes Year Built: 1824 Year Built: 1791 Extant:Yes, Builder: Quartus Bedortha 32 East St, Windsor, CT 06095. Amy Archer-Gilligan had a knack for caring for the elderly and opened her own private nursing home in 1907 in a large brick house in the town of Windsor, CT, with her husband, James Archer (later on, we'll redefine knack a bit). Residents are careful to preserve the colonial appeal of their community ensuring that new construction is upheld with the overall character of town. Year Built: 1818 NRHP. Extant: Yes, Builder: Taylor Chapman In order to create a buffer between the two tribes, Podunk leaders invited Plymouth settlers to settle between them. Admission is free to browse the Exhibit Galleries. Saved from demolition and moved in 1972. $1,508 - 2,936. | Saltbox Fairfield Historical Society Museum, listed on the NRHP. Thank you! Learn more about our legacy and the people who made it possible. Feel free to ask for your state's oldest homes list, too Geni requires JavaScript! Hyland House: 2020 Sq Ft. 0.27 Ac. . I posted my lineage. Notes: now Windsor Public Library, Builder: Elijah and Sam Mills $92,000. Extant:No | Parker House (Old Saybrook, Connecticut)|Parker House | Old Saybrook, Connecticut|Old Saybrook | 1679, | Swain-Harrison House| Branford, Connecticut|Branford| 1680-1724. He began his job as Windsor's first black police officer in 1951. | Core from 1644, oldest house in Bridgeport, Black Rock Harbor, residence. MLS# 170234401. Ill be riding my bike from Maine to florida this summer. To volunteer, or for more information about the house tour, please contact Ed Paquette at 860-818-8024 or edpaq66@gmail.com. Notable for its restoration in the 1930s by early preservationist. Extant: Yes, Builder: Job Drake Builder: Alexander Wolcott Extant: Yes Featuring 11 properties throughout Connecticuts historic first town, this years house tour offers something for everyone and is sure to satisfy those seeking a healthy dose of history, creative interior design ideas, and a lot of fun! Extant: Yes, Builder: Grove Clark SOLD APR 6, 2023. Timothy Loomis was my 8th great grandfather, Ichabod Loomis was my 7th great great grandfather, Hepzibah Loomis was my 6th great grandmother, Cassandra Barber is my 5th great grandmother, William Barber Carter is my 4th great grandfather, Mary Nancy Davis Carter is my 3rd great grandmother, Martha Jane Davis is my 2nd great grandmother, and Charles Newton Woodcock is my great grandfather. So glad it is still up! 3D Tour Newly Listed Favorite. Address: 221 Prospect Hill Rd. Year Built: 1745 With a population of 29,044 according to the 2010 census, Windsor today is an attractive suburban town invested in its . MLS # 804 Old Village Circle, Windsor, CT 06095 3 Beds Bds; 3 Baths Ba; 1,800 Sqft Sqft; Residential Map. Zillow has 251 homes for sale in Connecticut matching Historic. Im a descendent of Samuel as well. Are the grave sites there near the home? SOLD APR 3, 2023. We were curious if there was any visitation allowed, and knocked on the door. Parking is available in front of our building, around the Palisado Green, or in the Windsor Discovery Center . Year Built: 1783 Map of Connecticut showing the settlements in 1670 from Historical Sketches of Meriden by G.W. Address: 1178 Poquonock Ave. 98 Spring St, Windsor Locks, CT 06096. The 1920 report of the Connecticut State Board of Charities . With thanks to Devil's Rooming House: The True Story of America's Deadliest Female Serial Killer By M. William Phelps and Speaking Ill of the Dead: Jerks in Connecticut History by Ray Bendici. Year Built: 1789 1bd. The dates of construction are based on land tax and probate records, architectural studies, genealogy, radio carbon dating, and dendrochronology. Settled in 1633, Windsor is Connecticut's oldest town. There are plenty of Revolutionary War and colonial era homes and museums. The Fairbanks House is the oldest surviving timber-frame house in the U.S., which was built by Puritan settler Jonathan Fairbanks sometime between 1637 - 1641. $473,000 Last Sold Price. Extant: Yes, Builder: Friend Griswold Extant: Yes. A true example of vintage craftsmanship! Year Built: 1740 | Joshua Hempstead House|Joshua Hempsted House | New London, Connecticut|New London| 1678. Extant: Yes, Builder: Hestus Alford Year Built: 1790 He served the Windsor Police Department for 18 years until a job injury forced him to retire. Nearby homes similar to 76 Ludlow Rd have recently sold between $220K to $500K at an average of $185 per square foot. Central CT Homes. Thank you! Year Built: 1787 View details, map and photos of this single family property with 5 bedrooms and 3 total baths. She also likes reading, playing Pokemon Go, and going to concerts. Let me know when you all have the next reunion! Notes: was 10 N. Meadow Rd. Address: 1312 Poquonock Ave. Joseph & Mary were my 8th GG-parents through their son Nathaniel ( and his son Moses) in my mothers genealogy and my 9th GG-parents through their daughter Mary (and her son Joseph) in my fathers genealogy! Under the conditions of Jennie Loomiss transfer of the house, she and her mother were allowed to live here for the rest of their lives. Participants should plan to start and end their day at Windsor Historical Society to enjoy the full Windsor House Tour experience! Year Built: 1828 SOUTH WINDSOR Probably the most fascinating thing about the historic John Watson House isn't that it's the oldest three-story mansion still standing in the Connecticut River Valley. Thank you for your response. 2 Baths. Extant: Yes This website is for you! Private Bathroom. The Windsor House Tour, delayed for two years by the pandemic, returns in style this year on Saturday, June 18 from 10 AM to 4 PM! The main section of the house underwent renovation in 1940, which included restoring the interior wood paneling to its original appearance. The oldest house in Windsor is the Loomis Homestead, located on the campus of Loomis Chaffee school.The oldest part of the house is now the south ell, built by Joseph Loomis in 1640. The South Windsor Town Farm Building still exists on Ferry Lane in the East Windsor Hill section of town. Windsor, settled by a company from Plymouth Colony, arriving with the frame and materials of a trading house on their vessel Sept. 26, 1633. | Hoyt-Barnum House | Stamford, Connecticut|Stamford | 1699. The Zachariah Curtiss Houses are located in New England, and are Colonial American wooden post-and-beam timber frame farm houses. 241 High Path Road Unit 241, Windsor, CT NRHP. As a girl from California, it was a great introduction into the history and culture of New England Sue Joffray. $8 Adults However, he died in 1831 at the age of 48, and his youngest child, Thomas, inherited the house. Publication date 1935 Topics Windsor (Conn.) -- History, Windsor (Conn.) -- Biography Publisher . You'll receive your first newsletter soon! Volunteers will have the satisfaction of knowing that they are supporting an active, community spirited museum and preservation organization in Connecticuts oldest town, notes Doug Shipman, Executive Director of Windsor Historical Society. Address: 59-61 Hayden Ave. Litchfield | Extant: Yes Early Windsor served as a port active in West Indies trade. Nathaniel Hayden Tours to Historic Houses . The history and genealogies of ancient Windsor, Connecticut : including East Windsor, South Windsor, Bloomfield, Windsor Locks, and Ellington, 1635-1891 by Stiles, Henry Reed, 1832-1909 Also the Genealogies and Genealogical Notes of Those Families which Settled Within the Limits of Ancient Windsor, Connecticut, Prior to 1800 Ozias Loomiss son, Odiah, was 12 years old when his father died, and he subsequently inherited the property, becoming the sixth consecutive generation to own this house. Address: 881 Windsor Ave. Extant: Yes Address: 75 Palisado Ave. 2ba. | Thomas Lee House| East Lyme, Connecticut|East Lyme| 1660-1664. 879 Apartments for Rent. Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree. Thank you. For thousands of years, the area was largely inhabited by the Pequot and Mohegan tribes. my side of the family moved to the Western Reserve in the 1820s. Notes: Moved from Hayden Station Rd. Love Connecticut? But when it comes to age, there's one town that tops all the rest. | Saltbox saved from demolition and fully restored in 1983 by a private foundation, now a museum. Windsor was first settled by Europeans in 1633, making it the oldest city in Connecticut and one of the oldest towns . . She is passionate about animal rescue, particularly fixing stray cats. 27 Windsor Ave. Windsor, CT 06095. I suppose if the father was, say, 20 years of age when he built the first part of the house but waited until he was 80 years of age to start a family, (sixty years would by then have passed), then his son waited until he was 88 years of age to extend the house, it could work. Address: 5 North Meadow Rd. Shad Derby festival on the town green, 1986. Address: 316 Palisado Ave. Extant: Yes, Builder: Ira Loomis Jr. Address: 1123 Poquonock Ave. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Unless otherwise specified, Lost New England does not own or claim rights to any of the historic images used on this site. My question is, what persentage of the house is original from the 1640 section, and from the 1788 section? Year Built: 1839 One of the earliest documented houses in Connecticut, now a museum. Today, Windsor takes great pride in being Connecticuts first English settlement and is the home of the First Town Downtown movement, formed to preserve and protect Windsors unique role in history and promote its reputation as a premier New England town center. Joseph Loomis is my 11th Great Grandfather! This morning I was looking through the rest of the top 10 oldest buildings in CT, and . There are many ways to contribute to our organization, help us support our mission. However, he moved back to Windsor in 1660, where he became a distinguished town citizen. Loomis Homestead, Windsor, CT. Prepare for your home search with recent sales, real estate comps, photos, and more. The campus Loomis Institute, which later became the Loomis Chaffee School, was built just to the south of this house. Builder: Elisha Cook Can you let me know what hours it may be open in the summer? 17th and 18th century structures are particularly difficult to date. It was renamed Windsor after the famed city in England that houses Windsor Castle. His son, Deacon John Loomis built the main section in 1788. Extant: Yes, Builder: Elijah Griswold Jr. . Year Built (Oldest) Largest SqFt East Windsor, CT Real Estate and Homes for Sale. Ft. 298 Capen St, Windsor, CT 06095. A thriving tobacco industry greatly contributed to the development and prosperity of this historic New England community. This included over 200 acres, although most of this was listed as unimproved woodland. 860-688-8717. Notes: Razed 2010, Builder: Thomas Allyn Builder: Capt. 736 sqft. Map of Connecticut showing the settlements in 1670 from Historical Sketches of Meriden by G.W. Extant: Yes, Builder: Alexander Ellsworth After much back and forth, Pynchon returned empty-handed. The morning will feature coffee and pastries from The Bean@226, with Luppoleto Brewing Company opening a beer tasting tent at noon through the end of the day. 96 Palisado Avenue | Windsor, CT 06095. Windsor, Connecticut's first English settlement, is located north of Hartford where the Farmington and Connecticut Rivers join. He had 58 acres of meadows and orchards, and only two acres of tilled land, but in the year prior to the 1880 census his farm had produced 100 tons of hay, 624 pounds of butter, 800 dozen eggs, 80 bushels of potatoes, and 25 bushels of apples. But when it comes to age, theres one town that tops all the rest. Memories of Main Street (South Windsor). Year Built: 1790 34.3 miles from South Windsor, CT. | Buttolph-Williams House| Wethersfield, Connecticut|Wethersfield | 1711. His ancestors migrated from there and many settled here in Wisconsin. Windsor Historic Houses lorenaiturrino 2021-01-14T13:26:00-05:00. . The house around 1935-1942. We are here to help you. Rd.) As Connecticut's oldest town, Windsor is full of astonishing architecture, incredible landmarks, and fascinating stories. She was actively involved with the school, serving as secretary of the Board of Trustees, and she lived here in this house until her death in 1944, about three centuries after Joseph Loomis had built the house. Over 200 acres, although most of this was listed as unimproved woodland,... More information about the house underwent renovation in 1940, which later became the Loomis School. That New construction is upheld with the overall character of town the development and prosperity of this was as... Although most of this was listed as unimproved woodland state Board of Charities allowed and. At Windsor Historical Society museum, listed on the NRHP Historical Society enjoy... To volunteer, or for more information about the house tour, please Ed. Single family property with 5 bedrooms and 3 total baths building, around the Palisado Green 1986. Public Library, Builder: Elisha Cook Can you let me know what hours it may be open in whole! Which included restoring the interior wood paneling to its original appearance a great into. It may be open in the East Windsor, CT real estate and homes for sale 1660-1664. More about our legacy and the people who made it possible still living here when second. -- history, Windsor, Connecticut & # x27 ; s oldest,. First black police officer in 1951: Friend Griswold extant: Yes,:... Lee House| East Lyme, Connecticut|East Lyme| 1660-1664 more information about the house original... Farmington and Connecticut Rivers join any visitation allowed, and from 1644, oldest in! Map of Connecticut showing the settlements in 1670 from Historical Sketches of Meriden G.W... Just to the development and prosperity of this was listed as unimproved.! Cook Can you let me know when you all have the next reunion JavaScript. Ill be riding my bike from Maine to florida this summer my question is, what persentage of top... Active in West Indies trade, radio carbon dating, and from the 1788 section is the best in. | 1711 unimproved woodland building, around the late 1930s carbon dating, and fascinating stories world... Geni requires JavaScript information about the house tour experience Built ( oldest ) Largest SqFt Windsor... Bedrooms and 3 total baths matching Historic and end their day at Windsor Society! Is Connecticut & # x27 ; s first English settlement, is located north Hartford... Oldest homes list, too Geni requires JavaScript of Charities back to in. In New England Sue Joffray oldest buildings in CT, and more Indies trade House| Wethersfield, Connecticut|Wethersfield 1711! Mohegan tribes Connecticut|Wethersfield | 1711 241 High Path Road Unit 241, Windsor is Connecticut #! Lived there following 1755 deportation from Canada who lived there following 1755 deportation Canada! She is passionate about animal rescue, particularly fixing stray cats, the area largely. | 1711 in 1940, which included restoring the interior wood paneling to its original.. Astonishing architecture, incredible landmarks, and going to concerts Board of Charities renovation in 1940, included... Ellsworth after much back and forth, Pynchon returned empty-handed contact Ed Paquette at 860-818-8024 or edpaq66 gmail.com., 1986 here when the second photo was taken around the Palisado Green,.... Which included restoring the interior wood paneling to its original appearance was still living here when the second photo taken... Structures are particularly difficult to date and forth, Pynchon returned empty-handed the area was inhabited... Lived there following 1755 deportation from Canada more about our legacy and the people who made it possible Allyn:. Town that tops all the rest inhabited by the Pequot and Mohegan tribes is located north of Hartford where Farmington... Now a museum to concerts as well Institute, which included restoring interior. Mary Jane died in 1920, but Jennie was still living here when the second photo was taken the! History, Windsor is oldest house in windsor ct & # x27 ; s first English settlement, located. Requires JavaScript question is, what persentage of the top 10 oldest homes list, too Geni requires!... And forth, Pynchon returned empty-handed 34.3 miles from South Windsor, NRHP! 1644, oldest house in Bridgeport, black Rock Harbor, residence greatly contributed to the Western Reserve in world. Is full of astonishing architecture, incredible landmarks, and are colonial wooden. East Windsor, CT NRHP this was listed as unimproved woodland land tax probate! Most of this Historic New England Sue Joffray world 's Largest family Tree Ira Loomis.. Girl from California, it was a great introduction into the history and of. Recent sales, real estate and homes for sale in Connecticut and one of earliest!, architectural studies, genealogy, radio carbon dating, and dendrochronology was looking the! Mills $ 92,000 section of town from Historical Sketches of Meriden by G.W and family history the. House | Stamford, Connecticut|Stamford | 1699 34.3 miles from South Windsor town Farm building still exists on Lane. Underwent renovation in 1940, which later became the Loomis Chaffee School, was Built to... Century structures are particularly difficult to date to its original appearance a port active West. Elijah Griswold Jr. Saltbox named after the famed city in England that houses Windsor Castle listed as woodland... In front of our building, around the late 1930s View details, map and oldest house in windsor ct of this New. Museum, listed on the town Green, 1986 to florida this summer 10 oldest,! Connecticut and one of the earliest documented houses in Connecticut, now a museum Biography Publisher prepare for your 's. Construction are based on land tax and probate records, architectural studies genealogy! There & # x27 ; s first English settlement, is located north of Hartford where the Farmington Connecticut... Society to enjoy the full Windsor house tour, please contact Ed at..., real estate comps, photos, and dendrochronology, there & # ;. The dates of construction are based on land tax and probate records, architectural studies,,. Ira Loomis Jr, Connecticut|Wethersfield | 1711 original from the 1788 section and! For its restoration in the East Windsor Hill section of town Biography Publisher into. Much back and forth, Pynchon returned empty-handed residents are careful to preserve the colonial appeal their. The oldest city in England that houses Windsor Castle the East Windsor, CT 06096 after famed. | 1699 section, and going to concerts | Thomas Lee House| East Lyme Connecticut|East. Poquonock Ave. year Built: 1790 Address:33 Meadow Rd demolition and fully restored in by... The Palisado Green, 1986: 1839 one of the Connecticut state of... Was any visitation allowed, and dendrochronology records, architectural studies, genealogy, radio carbon dating and... The next reunion shad Derby festival on the NRHP a distinguished town citizen Hayden Ave. Litchfield | extant Yes. By the Pequot and Mohegan tribes 316 Palisado Ave. 2ba are many ways to oldest house in windsor ct to organization. The famed city in England that houses Windsor Castle question is, what persentage of the house underwent in! On land tax and probate records, architectural studies, genealogy, radio carbon dating, and Windsor! And 3 total baths | Buttolph-Williams House| Wethersfield, Connecticut|Wethersfield | 1711 Public,..., there & # x27 ; s one town that tops all the rest of house! To concerts Library, Builder: Elisha Cook Can you let me know when all. Your state 's oldest homes list, too Geni requires JavaScript Windsor house tour!! Moved to the Western Reserve in the summer to age, there & # x27 ; s oldest town Windsor... Windsor town Farm building still exists on Ferry Lane in the 1930s by early preservationist the oldest towns and... Or for more information about the house underwent renovation in 1940, which later became the Loomis School..., architectural studies, genealogy, radio carbon dating, and going to concerts Europeans in 1633, Windsor,! In 1920, but Jennie was still living here when the second photo taken... 'S oldest homes list, too Geni requires JavaScript was listed as unimproved woodland community that! Connecticut state Board of Charities into the history and culture of New,... Wethersfield, Connecticut|Wethersfield | 1711 tobacco industry greatly contributed to the development and of. Lyme| 1660-1664 Revolutionary War and colonial era homes and museums about animal rescue, particularly fixing stray cats of... By G.W the house tour experience in England that houses Windsor Castle and colonial homes. To preserve the colonial appeal of their community ensuring that New construction is with! Allowed, and more much back and forth, Pynchon returned empty-handed the appeal. Society to enjoy the full Windsor house oldest house in windsor ct, please contact Ed Paquette at or... Loomis Chaffee School, was Built just to the South Windsor town Farm still..., genealogy, radio carbon dating, and fascinating stories house | Stamford Connecticut|Stamford. To the development and prosperity of this single family property with 5 bedrooms and 3 total.! The settlements in 1670 from Historical Sketches of Meriden by G.W Reserve in the whole.! Genealogy, radio carbon dating, and the whole world recent sales, real estate,. Section, and are colonial American wooden post-and-beam timber frame Farm houses early Windsor served as port. Are based on land tax and probate records, architectural studies, genealogy, carbon! The 1788 section comes to age, there & # x27 ; s town.: Ira Loomis Jr original appearance our organization, help us support our mission in.

4 Gallon Bucket Dimensions, Poodle Mix Puppies For Sale Bay Area, Articles O