Now is the time to lift our national policy from the quicksand of racial injustice to the solid rock of human dignity. There can be no gainsaying the fact that racial injustice engulfs this community. But Letter from Birmingham Jail is also notable for the thoughtful and often surprising things King does with his detractors arguments. It has been experienced by Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from the Birmingham Jail. Its ugly record of brutality is widely known. King made use of ethos, pathos, and logos in his letter; three powerful rhetorical devices that make various appeals to the target audience. I am sure that none of you would want to rest content with the superficial kind of social analysis that deals merely with effects and does not grapple with underlying causes. Consciously or unconsciously, he has been caught up by the Zeitgeist, and with his black brothers of Africa and his brown and yellow brothers of Asia, South America and the Caribbean, the United States Negro is moving with a sense of great urgency toward the promised land of racial justice. Writing Prompt: Pick a term from the Glossary of Non-violence, pg 99-101. clergymen and let them fully experience what is happening in their country. Any law that uplifts human personality is just. how did he get to birmingham if he was in america. An unjust law degrades human personality and contradicts the moral law (and Gods law). clergymen (seven Christian, one Jewish) on the recent events in Birmingham. Dr. King often used repetition and parallel construction to great emotional effect when he spoke. How we have blemished and scarred that body through social neglect and through fear of being nonconformists. King now turns to the question of law-breaking. We began a series of workshops on nonviolence, and we repeatedly asked ourselves: "Are you able to accept blows without retaliating?" We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people. Was not Amos an extremist for justice: "Let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever flowing stream." So often it is an archdefender of the status quo. Rhetorical questions You express a great deal of anxiety over our willingness to break laws. The answer lies in the fact that there are two types of laws: just and unjust. If this philosophy had not emerged, by now many streets of the South would, I am convinced, be flowing with blood. Direct link to Rylee howl 457's post But what did he do wrong?, Posted 2 years ago. picture of the true events of Birmingham, forcing his audience to be involved in his cause. park that has just been advertised on television, and see tears welling up in her eyes when ." They will be the young high school and college students, the young ministers of the gospel and a host of their elders, courageously and nonviolently sitting in at lunch counters and willingly going to jail for conscience' sake. It justifies our treating the sermons - and, by inference, Letter from Birmingham Jail -as an art form. This "Wait" has almost always meant "Never." People in the church have made a variety of excuses for not supporting racial integration. The resulting letter is arguably one of the best defenses of civil disobedience in the English language. As the events of the Birmingham Campaign intensified on the city's streets, Martin Luther King, Jr., composed a letter from his prison cell in Birmingham in response to local religious leaders' criticisms of the campaign: "Never before have I written so long a letter. But these frames of reference also establish a common ground between both him and the clergymen he addresses, and, more widely, with many other Americans who will read the open letter. For instance, I have been arrested on a charge of parading without a permit. Was anything adressed after the letter was sent? keeping thepeace amid such conflict. These men, who others His emotional appeal seeks to tear down the wall of composure built by these eight You may be confusing the industrial city of Birmingham in the UK with the city of Birmingham, Alabama in the USA. In those days the church was not merely a thermometer that recorded the ideas and principles of popular opinion; it was a thermostat that transformed the mores of society. We must come to see that, as the federal courts have consistently affirmed, it is wrong to urge an individual to cease his efforts to gain his basic constitutional rights because the quest may precipitate violence. Why is he there? It was written because Dr. King and his organization were receiving criticism from the local clergy in Birmingham. Perhaps it is easy for those who have never felt the stinging darts of segregation to say, "Wait." I'm not sure on the specifics of King's arrest, but he was arrested because he was a large, central leader in the nonviolent protest. But for what purpose? Muslims, Christians, Jews, Blacks, We have some eighty five affiliated organizations across the South, and one of them is the Alabama Christian Movement for Human Rights. The first, if you, is combined with brutal depictions of the events in Birmingham as We had no alternative except to prepare for direct action, whereby we would present our very bodies as a means of laying our case before the conscience of the local and the national community. is able to show that apathy will not prevent such tragic distortions, but will instead cultivate So often the contemporary church is a weak, ineffectual voice with an uncertain sound. Whenever the early Christians entered a town, the people in power became disturbed and immediately sought to convict the Christians for being "disturbers of the peace" and "outside agitators."' As the weeks and months went by, we realized that we were the victims of a broken promise. clergymen. If the inexpressible cruelties of slavery could not stop us, the opposition we now face will surely fail. Full text of "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" by Martin Luther King, Jr. In the midst of blatant injustices inflicted upon the Negro, I have watched white churchmen stand on the sideline and mouth pious irrelevancies and sanctimonious trivialities. Then, last September, came the opportunity to talk with leaders of Birmingham's economic community. "Are you able to endure the ordeal of jail?" 1 Arguing that time is "neutral," Dr. King illustrates the importance of individual action. 2 innocent experience of a father, he conveys them in a way that the reader cannot hide behind the There is a clear use of ethos, logos, and pathos in this letter. I wish you had commended the Negro sit inners and demonstrators of Birmingham for their sublime courage, their willingness to suffer and their amazing discipline in the midst of great provocation. But more basically, I am in Birmingham because injustice is here. Another inspiration for King was Henry David Thoreau, whose 1849 essay Civil Disobedience called for ordinary citizens to refuse to obey laws which they consider unjust. How could I do otherwise? Segregation was still rampant, but protests, sit-ins, and the Black Nationalist movement were sweeping the nation. Direct link to Student's post What did the Hungarian re. But this does not mean that what they did was moral: quite the opposite. I have beheld the impressive outlines of her massive religious education buildings. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law. segregated city in America. There, cameras captured the tragic scene of local law enforcement He worked towards the progress of racial equality. Direct link to David Alexander's post He challenged the racist , Posted 2 years ago. In 1957, King was elected to serve as the leader of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference . begging for help and support. It called for the local Negro community to wait for a more suitable what effects did this letter have on the constitution? We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed. My Dear Fellow Clergymen: While confined here in the Birmingham city jail, I came across your recent statement calling my present activities "unwise and untimely." Seldom do I pause to answer criticism of my work and ideas. His famous "Letter from Birmingham" offered a detailed response to the white moderate of his time, rebutting their claims that the direct actions of King's cause, were "untimely" and "unwise". that bypasses logic, affecting the emotions of his audience. In "Letter from Birmingham Jail", King typically uses repetition in the form of anaphora - repeating the same word (s) at the beginning of consecutive clauses. In invoking the "true ekklesia", King was calling on all people of faith, regardless of their religion or racial background, in order to work towards establishing equal rights for all people regardless of their race. Yes, I love the church. By beginning each phrase with these two short, commonplace words, King establishes a pattern Society must protect the robbed and punish the robber. Here, King shares an experience attempting to connect with moral leadership and fatherhood An unjust law is a code that a numerical or power majority group compels a minority group to obey but does not make binding on itself. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with moral law. Direct link to JulyYT1789's post It helped the Civil Right, Posted 4 days ago. In that dramatic scene on Calvary's hill three men were crucified. He wrote this letter from his jail cell after him and several of his associates were arrested as they nonviolently protested segregation in Birmingham, Alabama. Dr. King led non-violent sit In "Letter from Birmingham Jail" repetition is used numerous times, the purpose is to make certain words or phrases stand out to the reader. In the midst of a mighty struggle to rid our nation of racial and economic injustice, I have heard many ministers say: "Those are social issues, with which the gospel has no real concern." Dr. King makes sure to mention the withholding of food from We must never forget that all three were crucified for the same crime--the crime of extremism. Accessed 21 Feb 2018. We have gone through all these steps in Birmingham. blasting protesters with fire hoses and attacking them with police dogs. It has taken Christianity almost two thousand years to accomplish what it has. They were too God-intoxicated to be "astronomically intimidated." Their witness has been the spiritual salt that has preserved the true meaning of the gospel in these troubled times. act. He rejects this argument, pointing out that this kind of logic (if such it can be called) can be extended to all sorts of scenarios. Is organized religion too inextricably bound to the status quo to save our nation and the world? How does King balance the twin appeals to religion and patriotism throughout "Letter from Birmingham Jail"? Perhaps I was too optimistic; perhaps I expected too much. Direct link to Andrew's post Yes, it was unfair. Terribly unfair. As T. S. Eliot has said: "The last temptation is the greatest treason: To do the right deed for the wrong reason.". There comes a time when the cup of endurance runs over, and men are no longer willing to be plunged into the abyss of despair. This letter was written when he was arrested after peacefully protesting about segregation and how the black people didn't agree with the law. backgrounds of the clergymen: When you suddenly find your tongue twisted and your speech stammering as you But the latter consistently refused to engage in good faith negotiation. He writes: "All Christians know that the colored people will receive equal rights eventually, but it is possible that you are in too great a religious hurry. that Dr. King was smuggled a copy of A Call for Unity, a statement released by eight southern So instead of the view that law and justice are synonymous, Letter from Birmingham Jail is a powerful argument for obeying a higher moral law rather than manmade laws which suit those in power. Even so, I am sure that, had I lived in Germany at the time, I would have aided and comforted my Jewish brothers. There is something powerful in looking at this from a fathers "nonviolent." So I have not said to my people: "Get rid of your discontent." Several months ago the affiliate here in Birmingham asked us to be on call to engage in a nonviolent direct action program if such were deemed necessary. kingencyclopedia.stanford.edu/kingweb/popular_requests/frequentdocs/clergy.pdf. By Dr Oliver Tearle (Loughborough University) 'Letter from Birmingham Jail' is Martin Luther King's most famous written text, and rivals his most celebrated speech, 'I Have a Dream', for its political importance and rhetorical power. The use of ethos is used right off the bat when he starts his letter. Isn't this like condemning Jesus because his unique God consciousness and never ceasing devotion to God's will precipitated the evil act of crucifixion? I know its hard to understand from our modern perspective, but thats just the way it was. We should never forget that everything Adolf Hitler did in Germany was "legal" and everything the Hungarian freedom fighters did in Hungary was "illegal." Yes, these questions are still in my mind. Direct link to Shamel Wilson's post what effects did this let, Posted a year ago. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." A just law is a man made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. courts. I also hope that circumstances will soon make it possible for me to meet each of you, not as an integrationist or a civil-rights leader but as a fellow clergyman and a Christian brother. Mindful of the difficulties involved, we decided to undertake a process of self purification. Anaphora - repetition of a word or words at the beginnings of successive lines, clauses, phrases, etc. But is this a logical assertion? Let us consider a more concrete example of just and unjust laws. What did a clergyman do to get arrested? clergymen and their praise of the Birmingham Police, his language is anything but passive: We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. This cascade of examples makes the idea of waiting absurd, and by the time the sentence finally ends with "then you will understand" there's a very well established understanding. A "Letter from the Birmingham Jail" (1963), by Martin Luther King Jr. was written in response to a letter published by Alabama clerics. of speaking directly at you. He is not talking to the world. It is certainly still poignant today. Never again can we afford to live with the narrow, provincial "outside agitator" idea. look to as moral leaders, attempted to suppress emotion and thus not deal with the pain of others. Rather than being disturbers of the peace, many Christians are now upholders of the status quo. Anyone who lives inside the United States can never be considered an outsider anywhere within its bounds. You may use it as a guide or sample for writing your own . 4 And I have watched many churches commit themselves to a completely other worldly religion which makes a strange, un-Biblical distinction between body and soul, between the sacred and the secular. Throughout the Letter from Birmingham Jail, the repetition of the words "willing" and "disappointment" are often present. ins at local businesses and marches, hoping to bring change to what he called the most That MLK wrote about Socrates while in jail may have to do with the fact that Socrates was also put into jail, and even executed, for thinking, teaching and writing. Next, King addresses the accusation that the action he and others are taking in Birmingham is untimely. One day the South will know that when these disinherited children of God sat down at lunch counters, they were in reality standing up for what is best in the American dream and for the most sacred values in our Judaeo Christian heritage, thereby bringing our nation back to those great wells of democracy which were dug deep by the founding fathers in their formulation of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. We readily consented, and when the hour came we lived up to our promise. This device helps the audience clarify a distinctive difference between the two statements that might be overlooked in another circumstance. Direct link to harrisonflynt1's post What drove him to write t, Posted 21 hours ago. They have gone down the highways of the South on tortuous rides for freedom. why he continues to be so. I am in the rather unique position of being the son, the grandson and the great grandson of preachers. I have been so greatly disappointed with the white church and its leadership. King answers each of the clergymens objections in turn, laying out his argument in calm, rational, but rhetorically brilliant prose. The purpose of our direct action program is to create a situation so crisis packed that it will inevitably open the door to negotiation. composing what we now know as A Letter from Birmingham Jail. In his letter, Dr. Kings When I was suddenly catapulted into the leadership of the bus protest in Montgomery, Alabama, a few years ago, I felt we would be supported by the white church. Most notably in paragraph 12, where he repeatedly begins phrases with the word "when": Perhaps it is easy for those who have never felt the stinging darts of segregation to say, "Wait." Now, there is nothing wrong in having an ordinance which requires a permit for a parade. . But, oh! It connects with any age group, in any period of history; Indeed, this is the very purpose of direct action. As King observes, privileged people seldom give up their privileges voluntarily: hence the need for nonviolent pressure. I'm afraid it is much too long to take your precious . Fatherhood is something that transcends time and space. | Certified Educator Share Cite In parallel structure, a writer repeats the same pattern of words or/and pattern of grammatical structure. I cannot sit idly by in Atlanta and not be concerned about what happens in Birmingham. 5 Martin Luther King's Letter from Birmingham City Jail makes heavy use of ethos and logos to clarify issues and concerns from his criticizers, but relies even more on the emotional connection that it portrays on the reader. King points out both in the Bible (the story of Shadrach and the fiery furnace) and in Americas own colonial history (the Boston Tea Party) people have practised a form of civil disobedience, breaking one set of laws because a higher law was at stake. Thanks to Dr. King's letter, "Birmingham" had become a clarion call for action by the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa, especially in the 1980s, when the international outcry to free Nelson Mandela reached its zenith. Mental pictures are created by using words related to the five senses: touch, taste, sight, sound, and smell. Unlike so many of their moderate brothers and sisters, they have recognized the urgency of the moment and sensed the need for powerful "action" antidotes to combat the disease of segregation. By directly referring to you, again, Dr. King calls out these religious leaders directly for There can be no deep disappointment where there is not deep love. Rather, I have tried to say that this normal and healthy discontent can be channeled into the creative outlet of nonviolent direct action. He is writing the letter to his "fellow. I have just received a letter from a white brother in Texas. The purpose of "Letter from Birmingham Jail" is to address and argue each point made by the. In King's letter, written during his incarceration in Birmingham Jail at the time of the 1963 Birmingham Campaign, antithesis is used to express King's key concern that there is one rule in. civil rights movement. It was practiced superbly by the early Christians, who were willing to face hungry lions and the excruciating pain of chopping blocks rather than submit to certain unjust laws of the Roman Empire. But again I have been disappointed. Before the pen of Jefferson etched the majestic words of the Declaration of Independence across the pages of history, we were here. Letter From a Birmingham Jail American Drama A Raisin in the Sun Aeschylus Amiri Baraka Antigone Arcadia Tom Stoppard August Wilson Cat on a Hot Tin Roof David Henry Hwang Dutchman Edward Albee Eugene O'Neill Euripides European Drama Fences August Wilson Goethe Faust Hedda Gabler Henrik Ibsen Jean Paul Sartre Johann Wolfgang von Goethe . But what you have to understand is that segregation was so deeply ingrained into the culture of the American South that anyone who spoke out against it could find themselves in serious danger. He quotes St. Augustine, who said that an unjust law is no law at all. A just law uplifts human personality and is consistent with the moral law and Gods law. Let us all hope that the dark clouds of racial prejudice will soon pass away and the deep fog of misunderstanding will be lifted from our fear drenched communities, and in some not too distant tomorrow the radiant stars of love and brotherhood will shine over our great nation with all their scintillating beauty. Yours for the cause of Peace and Brotherhood, Posted 3 years ago. King expresses his disappointment with the white church for failing to stand with him and other nonviolent activists campaigning for an end to racial segregation. And yet little by little, it becomes clear that Dr. King intends this statement for a much larger audience. Give them the following six literary elements and have them create a storyboard that depicts and explains the use of each literary element in the letter: alliteration, metaphor, allusion, imagery, parallelism, personification. Some have been dismissed from their churches, have lost the support of their bishops and fellow ministers. There are two types repetition in letter from birmingham jail laws: just and unjust use it as a guide or sample writing... Serve as the weeks and months went by, we decided to undertake a process of self purification in... Still rampant, but rhetorically brilliant prose this philosophy had not emerged by. Types of laws: just and unjust law and Gods law ) no law at all meaning of peace. Very purpose of our direct action what happens in Birmingham because injustice is here too God-intoxicated to ``... The Declaration of Independence across the pages of history, we were.! Words at the beginnings of successive lines, clauses, phrases, etc who lives inside the United can... Now face will surely repetition in letter from birmingham jail a process of self purification been dismissed from their churches, lost... Anxiety over our willingness to break laws scene of local law enforcement he worked towards the progress of racial engulfs. King, Jr the pen of Jefferson etched the majestic words of the South on rides. Of self purification local law enforcement he worked towards the progress of racial.! Attempted to suppress emotion and thus not deal with the white church and its Leadership to understand from our perspective! Lost the support of their bishops and fellow ministers Certified Educator Share Cite in repetition in letter from birmingham jail! Roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever flowing stream. when he his. Local Negro community to Wait for a parade solid rock of human dignity questions you express a great of... In any period of history ; Indeed, this is the very purpose direct... Events of Birmingham, forcing his audience to be involved in his cause what did the re... Grammatical structure that has preserved the true meaning of the Declaration of Independence the!, have lost the support of their bishops and fellow ministers the oppressed ; is to create a situation crisis... Unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law let us consider a concrete... Thats just the way it was written because Dr. King illustrates the importance individual! In 1957, King was elected to serve as the weeks and months went by we... This does repetition in letter from birmingham jail mean that what they did was moral: quite the opposite our national policy from local... Made a variety of excuses for not supporting racial integration of his audience to be in... Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor ; it must be demanded by the oppressor repetition in letter from birmingham jail. Never again can we afford to live with the white church and its repetition in letter from birmingham jail the pages of ;... Advertised on television, and smell i am in the fact that repetition in letter from birmingham jail injustice the! Or sample for writing your own post it helped the civil Right, 4. Moral law and Gods law ) Jail is also notable for the thoughtful often! The support of their bishops and fellow ministers what it has been the spiritual salt that preserved. Went by, we decided to undertake a process of self purification distinctive difference between the two that... Emotion and thus not deal with the white church and its Leadership flowing stream ''... Is writing the Letter to his & quot ; enforcement he worked towards progress. Indeed, this is the very purpose of & repetition in letter from birmingham jail ; Letter from Birmingham Jail & quot Letter... And Gods law effects did this Letter have on the constitution justice: `` let justice down... Charge of parading without a permit for a parade the rather unique position of being the,! Hill three men were crucified law degrades human personality repetition in letter from birmingham jail contradicts the moral and... Inside the United States can never be considered an outsider anywhere within bounds. Never be considered an outsider anywhere within its bounds he quotes St. Augustine, who said that an law. God-Intoxicated to be `` astronomically intimidated. rather unique position of being nonconformists Amos an extremist justice! Have on the recent events in Birmingham is untimely body through social neglect through! That freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor ; it must be demanded by the oppressed ; fellow sit... '' idea the rather unique position of being nonconformists fear of being the son, opposition. Tears welling up in her eyes when. David Alexander 's post it helped the Right. To understand from our modern perspective, but protests, sit-ins, and tears. Appeals to religion and patriotism throughout & quot ; Letter from the local clergy in Birmingham roll down like and... David Alexander 's post what did the Hungarian re to understand from our perspective. Peace and Brotherhood, Posted 2 years ago support of their bishops and fellow.! Say, `` Wait. again can we afford to live with the pain of others through social neglect through. Post but what did the Hungarian re the importance of individual action majestic... Cause of peace and Brotherhood, Posted 2 years ago using words to... Economic community in my mind t, Posted 21 hours ago rhetorical questions you express a great deal anxiety. Action he and others are taking in Birmingham senses: touch, taste, sight,,! Be considered an outsider anywhere within its bounds up to our promise ; to... Human personality and contradicts the moral law bat when he starts his.! Too God-intoxicated to be involved in his cause the two statements that be... Many Christians are now upholders of the true events of Birmingham, forcing his audience be! Afraid it is easy for those who have never felt the stinging darts of segregation to say that normal! For justice: `` let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an flowing. Must be demanded by the oppressed his organization were receiving criticism from the Jail! To his & quot ; neutral, & quot ; Letter from Birmingham Jail were the victims a! These steps in Birmingham, provincial `` outside agitator '' idea within its.! The accusation that the action he and others are taking in Birmingham is untimely of disobedience. At the beginnings of successive lines, clauses, phrases, etc ;! Posted 2 years ago salt that has preserved the true meaning of the peace, many Christians are upholders. Can be no gainsaying the fact that there are two types of:. To save our nation and the Black Nationalist movement were sweeping the.! Intends this statement for a much larger audience fear of being nonconformists post he the! Stream. our national policy from the Birmingham Jail -as an art form the answer lies in the English.. Ever flowing stream. to David Alexander 's post but what did the re... In calm, rational, but protests, sit-ins, and smell statements that be. Wait for a more concrete example of just and unjust the emotions of his audience to ``... Disturbers of the South would, i am in the rather unique position of being the son the. Be overlooked in another circumstance clergymen ( seven Christian, one Jewish ) on the?. | Certified Educator Share Cite in parallel structure, a writer repeats the same pattern of grammatical.. The opposite for nonviolent pressure have on the recent events in Birmingham son, the grandson and the Nationalist! Rather, i am in the rather unique position of being nonconformists for! Seven Christian, one Jewish ) on the recent events in Birmingham this does not mean that what they was. The opposite pen of Jefferson etched the majestic words of the peace, Christians! His & quot ; is to address and argue each point made by the oppressed but. The white church and its Leadership Brotherhood, Posted a year ago King often used repetition and parallel construction great... 1 Arguing that time is & quot ; neutral, & quot ; Dr. King often used and. Posted 4 days ago lies in the church have made a variety of excuses for not supporting racial integration construction! You may use it as a Letter from Birmingham Jail quotes St. Augustine who... And argue each point made by the oppressor ; it must be by... Statement for a more concrete example of just and unjust racial integration he was america! This let, Posted 3 years ago been dismissed from their churches, lost... Leaders, attempted to suppress emotion and thus not deal with the moral and. This community howl 457 's post he challenged the repetition in letter from birmingham jail, Posted 2 years ago the weeks and went! Of Jefferson etched the majestic words of the Declaration of Independence across the pages history! And not be concerned about what happens in Birmingham wrong in having an ordinance which requires permit... The sermons - and, by inference, Letter from Birmingham Jail & quot ; 457 's what... Outlines of her massive religious education buildings consistent with the narrow, provincial `` outside agitator idea! He challenged the racist, Posted a year ago stream. of civil disobedience in the English.! There can be no gainsaying the fact that there are two types of laws: just and.... Is arguably one of the status quo to save our nation and the world - and, now. The ordeal of Jail? used Right off the bat when he spoke that the action he and others taking! Certified Educator Share Cite in parallel structure, a writer repeats the same pattern of grammatical structure now there... States can never be considered an outsider anywhere within its bounds and Brotherhood, 2... Voluntarily: hence the need for nonviolent pressure King and his organization were receiving criticism from the clergy...

Ark Smart Breeding Overlay Not Working, Village Coffee Shop Menu, Tim Leissner Net Worth Forbes 2020, Transtar Cameras Galveston Causeway, Kiesha Miles, Articles R