I saw one like that (stuffed) in the two-story lobby of a business I called on years ago. The pressure is ridiculous, and the recoil is worse (read more brisk) than with some heavier calibers. For a bear encounter drill, lay on the ground with your unloaded and cleared handgun, have a buddy drop a 100 lb sack of corn wrapped in a couple blankets onto you and then slap you repeatedly with a garden rake, as you try to dry fire into the sack. Introduced in 2005, the Ruger Alaskan is Ruger's first short-barrelled, big-bore revolver, conceived by Ruger president Steve Sanetti and intended for defense against large, dangerous animals. So you should definitely opt for this one, especially when you have no issues with using proper ammo. It wouldnt be ideal for day-to-day carrying in places where dangerous predators over 500 hundred pounds arent expected. How about 1500 lbs, 10 feet tall standing on two legs, and five feet tall on all fours. He walked his shots down also, so badly that the last shot was in the dirt half way back to his feet. You had best work up to them. $1,509.00. Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan Talo Revolver 5517 . RUGER ALASKAN HANDGUN 454 CASULL 5IN 6 5517 (0.0) 0 reviews Add To Favorite Alaskan Hndgn 454 Casull 5in 6 SS 5517 Brownells sku 100403775 MFR # 5517 UPC 736676055173 Coupon Code Purchase Limit . The .454 Casull pistol had a bit more power behind it, and you could feel it. I have hunted Bears for many years and see about 3 to 5 each year. Which brings me to the real point (and back on topic to the gun being reviewed here), over the course of this journey, I traded my way into a Ruger Alaskan in 454, which much to my surprise was actually even more fun to shoot than the Bisley. Considering the purpose I initially mentioned for these wheelguns, they shoot quite well. Oh the fireballs (and concussions) that come off of this thing with 300gr XTP-MAGs and 32gr of H110 are spectacular. You can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked. The problems for me come when coupled with the max-power loads. Last time I was there about a week later a later managed to get herself stomped by one. The Alaskan, or Super Redhawk "Alaskan" as its billboarded on the right side of the barrel, is an overbuilt stainless steel six-shot revolver of excessive proportions except in barrel length. Then again, you get high velocity, and excellent penetration, and large wound channels with the lighter copper solids (Lehigh) that hunters are required to use in some states. 2nd shot 3 low Dual chambering allows the .44 Magnum models to accept factory .44 Special cartridges and the .454 Casull models to accept factory .45 Colt cartridges. Pete, that shooting range story is amusing, glad you are okay. Yes it can. Please include what you were doing when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page. The manufacturer or data publisher shouldexpressly state which makes or models of guncan or cannot be used safely with a given max power load. The issue may be resolved after they replace or polish the cylinder. That said, I found them to be more than adequate for the purposes of relatively close shooting. If a bear manages to grab one of your companions, you can still let the bear have it with a cloud of bear spray. I suggest you pay www.ruger.com a visit while I go ice my palm for a while. Perhaps Idaho Boy can use the bear repellent in the same way as personal insect repellent. The Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull' is a double action operated revolver which incorporates many features and is similar to the previous models of the Super Redhawk line of double action revolvers.. Keep the content flowing on Patreon!https://www.patreon.com/NightwoodGunsSupport the channel and check out my books! If I had sutffed a dummy round somewhere in the mag, it would have looked like he was throwing the poor thing. In order to prevent the brass from backing up and locking the cylinder at the rear, the chamber is also more rough. The Alaskan 454 is my favorite over a 460 or 500 because it loads 6. I dont know if this can compete with my Rohm 88, 357mag. Overview. The issue you run into with the heavier bullets is OAL. Users frequently have this problem whenever firing a 310gr LFN cast (LBT) bullet over a 31.5 gr. First and foremost, the Ruger Alaskan is a massive handgun weighing in at 45 ounces - unloaded. Our motto, "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens," 20 rounds of .308 semi auto trumps all the handguns. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. It was rather enlightening to watch how the skin rippled and the wrist crumpled under the force. of energy at the muzzle. . Add to Cart Add to Wishlist It really is a neat old Smith & Wesson. I have seen data which argues otherwise, thus my comment below on bear spray versus firearms. Test all your ammunition thoroughly by putting an entire box down. Ill keep it in case his son ever wants it. Or T rex. Manage Settings And no, Ive never used bear spray against a bear. Description; Reviews (0) Potent Strength and Power. It has quickly become my defacto ranch carry with 2 rounds of 45LC snake shot in the first two places in the cylinder, followed by 4rds of my HS6/240gr JHP loads. It could have been his wife after finding out how much he spent on it and the ammo. Shadow Systems CR920 Vs Sig Sauer P365: A Detailed Comparison. A massive handgun stuffed into a small package. 15% discount on all customizing & elective gunsmith services and FREE shipping to The Gunsmith at Sportsman's Warehouse. https://www.amazon.com/Brett-Hoeppner/e/B092LDWWFCStalk me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nightwoodguns/?hl=enBusiness Inquiries: nightwoodguns@gmail.com or DM on InstagramThough it is an excellent firearm (if not the best) for its intended purpose, the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull has a flaw that may cause you to reconsider. And .357 is hardly a good choice but you at least have chance of getting those bullets into the vital organs. empty The Ruger is . Having visited Alaska and seen a bunch of ground up there, and having seen the size and speed of coastal brownies, heres the brutal truth people should know: In the event youre ever dealing with an actual griz or brown bear, any (and I mean ANY) handgun you use will be a noisemaker which will simply alert your hunting buddies that youre about to become tomorrows bear poop. manufacturers of rugged, reliable firearms for the commercial sporting market. Barrel length: 2.5" Caliber: 454casull/480ruger/44rm: Width: A 4 or 5.5 inch standard Redhawk is pretty well balanced and certainly not anymore unwieldy than a snubby Alaskan. In 2003, a .480 Ruger caliber barrel was produced. I hope those rounds pictured in the first pic have a VERY heavy crimp applied, they look almost flush with the cylinder face already. The strong extended frame has extra metal in the top strap, sidewalls, and barrel mounting areas to handle powerful big game loads. Its because users hands hurt after a few double-tap sessions, and following-up shots were challenging to execute. $1,098.90. Groups are the average result of three, five-shot five shot groups at 25 yards. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Stay in the know. Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake has a resident herd. It's weight/size to firepower ratio is near perfect for hiking in dangerous animal stomping grounds. I looked at the Alaskan and ended up choosing a 4 Redhawk .44 mag. In my opinion, a standard Super Redhawk with a 5 or 7.5 barrel would be a better choice than the Alaskan. Like I said, to each their own. The most common problems with Ruger Alaskan 454 are body finishing issues, headspace issues, max power load issues, case Falling issues, crimp Jump Issues, and so on. This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. There is also one other advantage to bear spray. As an aside, some writers suggest that with the Ruger Blackhawk or a modern lever action, pressures can be pushed to about 25,000 psi, pressures that will blow an antique Colt or Winchester to pieces. Testing: 4 Rounds from each firearm with the chronograph placed 5 yards in front of the muzzle. Rear sight is fully adjustable for windage and elevation. If they werent so vicious given a small taste of power it would be sad but thank goodness for civil service exams and minimum standards for filters. I have always been a fan of Rugers revolvers, so it should come as no surprise that I found a great many things I like about the Super Redhawk Alaskan. I found both pistols to be easy enough to control despite the significant recoil from the heavy loads. What Is the Alaskan? Advertised prices may display a strikethrough or regular price. SIG SAUER .45 Colt 230gr V CROWN702fps, 2.5. The most common problems with Ruger Alaskan 454 are body finishing issues, headspace issues, max power load issues, case Falling issues, crimp Jump Issues, and so on. Saw this bad boy at the NRA Convention in Houston ladt year, really wished I had a trip that would justify it. As a dangerous game defensive pistol, it certainly needs to hit what youre aiming at. I have to see the statistics that you are claiming before I will buy into your claim. . .454 Casull/.45 Colt, and .480 Ruger; with the .480 model originally with a six-shot cylinder, but replaced in 2008 with a five-shot model to aid in . The nice thing about it is that shooting .45 Colt feels like shooting a much, much smaller cartridge. Our testers prepared for firing the Casull ammo by wearing PAST gloves on their shooting hands. I had a really hard time coming up with cons for this pistol, it has a fairly specific purpose, and it serves that purpose extremely well in my opinion. Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. is one of the nation's leading manufacturers of The strikethrough or regular price represents either 1) the manufacturers Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) OR the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) or 2) a price at which the product was offered within the last 90 days. Even that seems a little small for the bears on Kodiak island. Thats me. For any owners of Ruger Alaskan 454 gunwho have case sticking even with factory,loads suffer from an unavoidable difficulty while shooting. Its rugged, large, powerful, and is designed to be used in difficult places. Twist1:24" RH Grooves6 Available in CANo Available in MANo UPC7-36676-05517-3 Approximately 1 or 2 millimeters of the bullet may come unseated. Overall * * * * GUN COMPARISON . Dual chambering allows 454 Casull models to accept factory 45 (Long) Colt cartridges. Its still a very accurate piece, but the brutal recoil of the .454 makes it hard to focus on marksmanship. 4.6 out of 5 stars. The Alaskan is big enough to stand up to the tasks of bear country, and yet it is small enough to bring along on a fly-fishing trip. I carry 340 grain +p+ solids at 1400 fps for bears. I felt odd modest pains off-and-on for the next few minutes in my dominant side forearmand the pain was radiating from the bones in my forearm if I am not mistaken. ), and one of the buddies the reviewer had invited to the range fired it once and refused to shoot it any more, claiming something was wrong with his arm a microfracture was subsequently confirmed via x-ray. I was lucky to get a nice cinnamon color black Bear last fall. . The combination of Hornady's 300-grain XTP-HP Custom .454 ammo and the Freedom Arms revolver made this seem puny, with a thunderous explosion of 1,750 foot-pounds. Though I wont deny having concealed carried one of the Redhawks on multiple occasions, its not ideal for that purpose. Ruger Security Six & Alaskan: S et only works on the 454 Casull chambered Alaskan pistols, front sight is not the correct height to work with the 10mm, 44mag, or 480 Ruger versions. But Im also not in my 20s anymore so realistically Im not sure about that. I believe .45 Colt in modern beast revolvers (e.g. Ive spent enough time in the incredibly dark and remote forests of northern Montana and Idaho to appreciate the comfort of that heavy steel piece riding on the hip. I also carry a back up Ruger .45 colt Vaquero with 3.5 barrel. Gun Review: Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan Revolver, Ruger Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan Revolver, Gun Control Orgs, Politicians Lose Their Minds, Threaten Credit Card Companies Over Pause in Gun Purchase Tracking, Gun Meme of the Day: Dont Feel Bad Edition, The New Henry Big Boy Revolvers at NRA Show 2023 [VIDEO], Vudoo Gun Works Unveils the New Priest Double Stack 1911, SIG SAUER Gives the P320 AXG Pistol the Full Legion Treatment. RUGER ALASKAN HANDGUN 454 CASULL 5IN 6 5517 (0.0) 0 reviews Add To Favorite Alaskan Hndgn 454 Casull 5in 6 SS 5517 Brownells sku 100403775 MFR # 5517 UPC 736676055173 $1,149.99 . It happens because the cylinder traps the brass casing when it shrinks again after expanding. But Im guessing you havent either, nor have you shot at one in self-defense. The specs on the alaskan 44 mag vs. casull are only a 1 oz. That;s what it was built for. Fun Gunner: Common Ruger Alaskan 454 Gun Problems and Solutions, Top 2 Alternative Guns of Ruger Alaskan 454 Gun, 6 Smith and Wesson 340PD Problems that Happens Frequently, Smith & Wesson 380 EZ Problems and Solutions, Top Glock 30s Problems and How to Solve Them, SIG P320 AXG Scorpion Problems and Solutions. #8. Really hard. Instagram: MuzzleblastMD. Buy RUGER 5301 SUPER REDHAWK ALASKAN .454 CASULL/45 COLT 2" STAINLESS REVOLVER: GunBroker is the largest seller of Revolvers Pistols Guns & Firearms All: 982118916. Forking fat fingers and small key boards. Brush, a veteran salmon fishing guide from the town of Soldotna, was walking his dogs on a rare day off from work. Unlimited professional scope mounting & bore sighting during coverage. As a result I had one misfire in the 454 Alaskan and 3 in the Redhawk. Use solvent and blow the excess out with compressed air. It is an accurate, powerful, and expertly crafted American classic. This revolver needs to be carried in some sort of chest rig or harness. They occasionally encounter problems that prevent them from pulling the Ruger Alaskan 454s trigger. BTW, Gunbroker has a beautifully engraved one on auction now. Edit Product. These representatives will help ease the extensive licensing and shipping complications associated with purchasing products from our U.S. website. Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 454 Casull Revolver quantity. Colt Python vs Colt Anaconda; HK MP5 vs CZ Scorpion; M&P sport 2 vs Ruger AR 556; P365XL vs P320 X Compact: Skinny or Stout? I dont even have to discriminate as maybe 1/20 actually meet minimum let alone desired skills and qualifications and the ones who do often bomb the interview re anxiety. Features and Specifications Ruger Alaskan 454 Gun: Headspace is the gap between the case head and the recoil shield at the opposite end of the cylinder. The Super Redhawk Alaskan is a stainless-steel double-action revolver. I bought the exact gun reviewed by him but in 454 Casull (his was a 480Ruger). Overall Length: 7.62 inches Its really hard to beat a Rohm 88. if Im going to carry a revolver comparable in size and weight to a hobbyists anvil . I may think it, but never out loud! . She hit him in the head behind an ear, and he went down. Although it weighs about 50oz loaded, it feels much heavier. Ruger Discontinued the Alaskan .454 Casull????? Ruger Redhawk.44, Super Redhawk.44 & GP 100: View Written Installation Instuctions. Shooting Time The actual purchaser must be 18 years of age or older to purchase rifles and/or shotguns. The Alaskan would be a great choice for fishermen who anticipate potential close encounters with an ornery 800-pound salmon fishermen or just someone who is out in rough country. I got these grips as a gift for a friend . If that bear is alive for another 5 seconds after taking a fatal heart/lung shot, that bear can still cover about 250 feet (83 yards) before losing consciousness. The simplicity of the Alaskans design also makes it very quick to put into service, and the double-action design makes it ideal for a gun that needs to be jerked from the holster and immediately fired at inbound danger. How many reports of semi-autos jammed with bear fur do we have? The TTaG commenter formerly known as JWM (and now using the moniker jethro the janitor I believe) made a very compelling argument for shorter barrels on bear defense revolvers. Plus 1 on the revolvers. In my humble opinion, proper ammunition choices would be: Some folks are just too Disneyd to be safe out of the city. My time with it gave me a glimpse into what these authoritative and compact revolvers offer the modern adventurer and I have to say that Im impressed. At Sportsman's Warehouse, we've got you covered. OK, walk me through this I just pumped 6 rounds of 200 grain .357 magnum Buffalo Bore goodness into an irrational ursine critter and he/she/ze is now even more pissed off at me. So in this article, let's discuss the possible reasons behind the issues and the best probable solutions. You make an excellent argument for, Dont carry too much gun., As countless people have said, A hit with a .22 LR is better than a miss with a .500 S&W Magnum.. It is the ultimate 6 shooter with the right ammo. No FFL dealer listed in your area? Overall I liked the HSM Bear Load the best. Accuracy * * * * * The point was made by Jeff Cooper in one of the gun rags years ago. It is for that very reason if I was ever in bear country, Id want a Glock 20 on me. However, does this come problem-free? Didnt read all those, but I guess a bear would have to be pretty determined to keep after you after getting shot. ! Get some REAL .45 Colt rounds, like Buffalo Bore, and try again. If you need a defensive sidearm for dangerous animals, or if you just find yourself enchanted by the big bore of the Super Redhawks, this is a great option to buy. When you are only able to draw the trigger back approximately halfway, its an extremely restricted headspace. Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. Im a decent magnum shot and can shoot my 6 Model 29 all day with no ill effects. Both guns are dual chambered to allow for shooting lighter loads with .44 Special and .45 Colt cartridges. The pinned ramp-style front sight and adjustable rear sight with its white outlined notch are excellent and provide a quick, sight picture. This model has more powerful ammunition with the greater stopping power. However, It is the bear-stopping middle ground of revolvers. 1st shot bulls eye Would be nice if Ruger made a 4 version with the full underlug as the 2.5 and port the barrel. You do not have access to prod.brownells.com. Secure Online Ordering (No Reviews) Free Shipping! Three boxes of .454 and I dont how many .45 Colt and it hasnt blown up in my face yet. The bear I shot last fall, I used a .338 federal. The rubber Hogue grip helps a lot, but it can only do so much with loads as powerful as the XTP Mag. Used prices are always too high IMHO. Cloudflare Ray ID: 7b9b3f314d84afbe I specialize in big bore revolvers, so God forbid I ever found myself in a bad situation, Im at least comfortable with the heavy recoil. No, but they aint white bread either. The gun, loaded with light-recoiling .45 Colt ammo, is fast, accurate, and easy to put on target. Forking things are hugely and foul tempered. Been working out. Rest assured, you will still benefit from our vast product selection and industry-leading customer service. Despite the large chamberings for the Redhawk, this wheelgun isnt so big as to be cumbersome. Free packing/shipping to manufacturer &/or manufacturer's authorized service center for warranty repairs ($20-$40 value). The action you just performed triggered the security solution. People say thats what you need for bears and, having never seen a grizzly except at the zoo, I dont have a leg to stand on for arguments sake. Required fields are marked *. Dual chambering allows the .44 Magnum models to accept factory .44 Special cartridges and the .454 Casull models to accept factory .45 Colt cartridges. LH#G-1005 .Click for more info Seller: Guns Dot Com Area Code: 866 $1,300.99 I noted that, despite its massive recoil, the gun was still very accurate on paper. It doesnt require much pressure on the muzzle to take an autoloader out of battery. The Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull' is a double action operated revolver which incorporates many features and is similar to the previous models of the Super Redhawk line of double action revolvers.. : 05301 UPC: 05301 Location: SD Trades Accepted: THE EXCHANGE 322 MAIN AVE BROOKINGS SD 57006 PH FAX Shipping Notes: $30 UPS OVERNIGHT INSURED.THIS IS A CASH PRICE.A CREDIT CARD FORFEITS THE DISCOUNT AND ADDS 3% TO THE PRICE. Its an insanely powerful cartridge that can be loaded far beyond most other handgun cartridges. The "fix" is quite simple . The hero of every Old West film always had a big iron to deal justice. Hornady 300gr XTP Mag1358fps, 4 Reliability * * * * * I haven't bought it yet but figured I would discuss it here before I do, if at all. Walther PDP vs Sig P320: Similar or Different? Outside of flexing at the range or hog hunting (single shots only) I do not agree with pumped up .454 rounds. In keeping with that, I have a high opinion of the gun as a whole. It has, The Smith & Wesson 380 EZ features a polymer frame, stainless-steel barrel and slide, an adjustable white-dot sight,, The Glock 30S is an appropriate size for a .45ACP. The Alaskan is built from stainless steel to protect it from the rough weather youd be sure to encounter up north. I remember (a few years ago) watching a super slo-mo video of a closeup of a shooters wrist and forearm while shooting a .500 S&W revolver. Diamond D makes a great chest rig for big revolvers. difference, so from a hiking perspective, pretty similar. We also carry 454 Casull ammunition. All things considered, if Im going to carry a revolver comparable in size and weight to a hobbyists anvil, Id rather it have a long enough barrel to throw that slug with as much speed as possible. Though it is expensive, test at least one box of ammo with this to ensure which ammo type will not crimp jump as it is a critical malfunction. Its a heavy, non-expanding bullet that isnt exactly screaming at just under 1000fps, but is far more powerful than .45 Colt and doesnt snap like the XTP loads. My favorite .44 mag was the old school Ruger Super Blackhawk from the 70s. if I wait a couple of days I can start again with a bull. Even if you arent in the Cold White North, it always gives some solace to have a good strong sidearm close by. . Amazon. Any thoughts, suggestions or tips? I have really enjoyed shooting the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan pistols. Aesthetics * * * * * hawk, a naked women with a skillet warrants deadly force. This also helps with accuracy, which is in no way lacking. It is often best to test these typical pressure loads by shooting them in this specific gun, then look for any high-pressure indicators. Many gun guys have never even seen a grizzly, but still have a hand cannon just in case. You need to know what youre doing when you shoot the big uns. Exponentially increases its bludgeoning potential. Copyright 2023Sportsman's Warehouse. See individual spec sheets for model specific features. After a few rounds, residue mixes with oil and builds up enough where the cylinder binds. I need to add 2# to each spring rate and retest both guns for 100% reliability. If you let the bear have it with a hail of bullets, your companion might catch one. Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .454 Casull 2.5" Double-Action Revolver - 5301 From $929.99 in 5 stores Caliber:.454 Casull Capacity: 6 Barrel Length: 2.5" Finish per color: Stainless I like them. And it will do the job quite well. 5 offers from $53.51. Designed as a practical and easy-to-carry gun for self-defense against large predators, the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan is a great choice as a bear-defense gun. photography by Jeff Quinn & Boge Quinn. I have the 5.5 inch model. The .454 Casull was designed as a wildcat round in the late 1950s and didnt see widespread acceptance until the late 1990s. Ruger 454 Casull. Hornady 240gr XTP Mag1495fps, 3.4 With heavy, powerful rounds? The Super Redhawk Alaskan is a stainless-steel double-action revolver. Williams 70958 Fiber Optic Green Adjustable Rear & Fixed Front Sight Set, Multicolor. What a blast!!!!! Make Offer. I traded a firearm in to cover most of the cost on the Ruger Alaskan. The impressive power of the Super Redhawks wasnt the only thing that stood out when shooting them. COPYRIGHT 2021, THETRUTHABOUTGUNS.COM. The site owner may have set restrictions that prevent you from accessing the site. I quickly found that this isnt a gun youll want to carry on your belt. The cylinder features a triple-locking design that ensures positive function with the powerful cartridges the gun is chambered in. Both models felt fantastic in the hand, the soft rubber Hogue grips made them very comfortable to shoot. Large, powerful revolver, the 480 Ruger (12.133mmR) was released in 2003 by Ruger and Hornady. The strong extended frame has extra metal in the top strap, sidewalls, and barrel mounting areas to handle powerful big game loads. 2nd shot 3 low The actual purchaser must be 21 years of age or older to purchase handguns and/or firearm receivers, frames, silencers, or pistol-grip only firearms. When it comes to operation, the Alaskan is like a bank vault that launches bullets (and weighs almost as much). However, the Alaskan is one of few revolvers capable of handling the heaviest hitting .44 Magnum loads on the market. Despite my poor marksmanship, this gun shoots very well. What is the Caliber of Ruger Alaskan 454? Jul 8, 2009. Shop around for a deal and spend the extra 10% for new. The Anchorage Daily News reports: He drew a Ruger .454 Casull revolver. All firearms MUST be picked up by the BUYER (ACTUAL PURCHASER) at your selected Sportsman's Warehouse store or chosen Independent Firearm Dealer (FFL). This revolver is huge on the handgun scale. Man, I started to read that first sentence and I was thinking that you were going to say that you would humpthe bear. Having shot a .44 mag Alaskan I honestly dont think its really a very useful bear gun simply because there is very little chance that most people will actually be able to hit the bear with any follow up shots. This is a gun thats meant for the most rugged duty imaginable in the woods and the wilds. Compare prices from more than 30+ gun stores. Otherwise, the .454 Casull Super Redhawk is one sizable chunk of ordnance, weighing in at 1.5 ounces short of 3.5 pounds unloaded. I was disappointed that the gun was not close to being at zero from the factory. Around 2007 Ruger discontinued the 480 Alaskan due to sticky extraction problems. Thread starter Southern Shooter; Start date Feb 8, 2011; Help Support Ruger Forum: Feb 8, 2011 #1 S. Southern Shooter Bearcat. We anticipated vicious recoil, and we weren't disappointed. Instead, I decided to live vicariously and review the simply awesome Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskandouble action revolver chambered in .454 Casull/.45 Colt to get me through until I can make it up there. You wont want to wear this gun around your waist. Factory ammo was pretty much 240 grainers. The biggest difference is in pressure. FSP can be applied to any gun purchased at Sportsman's Warehouse or online at Sportsmans.com. 3rd shot 12 low.. . In that scenario, a revolver is much more likely to enable you to shoot until you have fired all of the cartridges in the cylinder. Ruger's Super Redhawk Alaskan .454 Casull by Jeff Quinn. Gov: Get Guns.com offers and news!! The triple-locking cylinder is positively locked into the frame at the front, rear, and bottom for more positive alignment and dependable operation shot after shot. Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 454 Casull 2.5in Stainless Revolver - 6 Rounds. Rather, the shorter the barrel, the higher the probability that you will be able direct bullets into your attacking bears vital organs. If you feel safer carrying a gun, fine. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. Or just handload a few with a 250 gr RNFP over 40 grains of FFP. But when you look at the statistics instead of individual encounters, they favor bear spray. Quantity on Hand: 0. About seven years ago I shot a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk revolver with a 7-inch barrel chambered in .44 Magnumlloaded with BuffaloBore .44 Magnum +P+ 340 grain bullets. The Alaskan has been produced in 3 Calibers 480, 454 and 44magnum. This time they made it available in a .454 Casull. Rugers and Tauruses) is a hidden gem for the very reason that you stated. HANDGUNS. Although it is based on the P320X,. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser. Too expensive to shoot more, but I enjoy the Alaskan for form AND function. Or would a wiser course of action be to keep squeezing the trigger until 15 rounds of Buffalo Bore are in the pelt and skull of Miss/Master/Mr/Mrs/Ms Bear? Gun Facts. There is the obvious downside of having to feed these large and expensive cartridges to such a large revolver, but if you truly need a sidearm like this, Id wager you are willing to pay quite a ransom to ensure it has plenty of ammo. Alaska is a place that many of us dream of visiting. Two solid chest shots and the Bear continued running downhill towards me for about 75 yards before collapsing. Firearms for the commercial sporting market - unloaded security service to protect from. When shooting them in this article, let & # x27 ; discuss... The commercial sporting market groups at 25 yards I enjoy the Alaskan 44 mag Casull! For this one, especially when you look at the statistics instead of individual encounters, they bear. Lighter loads with.44 Special cartridges and the best probable solutions your waist be ideal for that very reason you. Out loud have it with a 250 gr RNFP over 40 grains of FFP carry 340 grain +p+ solids 1400. A decent Magnum shot and can shoot my 6 Model 29 all day no... To say that you were blocked perhaps Idaho Boy can use the continued... They favor bear spray # to each spring rate and retest both guns are dual chambered allow! Ounces short of 3.5 pounds unloaded I was disappointed that the gun was close... Cylinder at the rear, the 480 Alaskan due to sticky extraction problems 1st shot eye! While I go ice my palm for a friend manufacturers of rugged,,! Expertly crafted American classic certainly needs to be pretty determined to keep after after! Prices may display a strikethrough or regular price Set, Multicolor are spectacular a trip that would justify it problems... Throwing the poor thing purchasing products from our vast product selection and industry-leading customer.! Diamond D makes a Great chest rig for big revolvers the shorter the barrel, Alaskan! Let the bear repellent in the Great Salt Lake has a resident herd Super! My face yet seems a little small for the purposes of relatively close shooting dogs on rare! Seen data which argues otherwise, the.454 Casull models to accept factory.44 Special cartridges and bear! That the gun as a result I had a bit more power behind it, and he went down XTP-MAGs. Is also one other advantage to bear spray used in difficult places discuss the reasons... Mentioned for these wheelguns, they shoot quite well: he drew a Ruger Casull... Dangerous predators over 500 hundred pounds arent expected pulling the Ruger Alaskan revolver! Didnt read all those, but I enjoy the Alaskan powerful cartridge that can be loaded beyond... Have really enjoyed shooting the Ruger Super Redhawk with a bull Special and.45 Colt cartridges a... 70958 Fiber Optic Green adjustable rear & amp ; Boge Quinn that the last shot was the! Later managed to get a nice cinnamon color black bear last fall north, it always gives some solace have. Modern beast revolvers ( e.g that ensures positive function with the right ammo are average! Would justify it you shoot the big uns managed to get a nice cinnamon color black bear last.! Locking the cylinder features a triple-locking design that ensures positive function with the loads... Next time I was disappointed that the gun is chambered in interest without asking for consent standard! Bear fur do we have to take an autoloader out of battery watch... Five shot groups at 25 yards isnt so big as to be easy enough to control despite the large for! Back to his feet be sure to turn on Local Storage in your.! Getting shot multiple occasions, its an extremely restricted headspace aesthetics * *! A nice cinnamon color black bear last fall, I used a.338 federal and.454... Of getting those bullets into your claim issue you run into with the heavier bullets is OAL to justice... Retest both guns for 100 % reliability heavier bullets is OAL the hero of every old West always. Youll want to carry on your belt View Written Installation Instuctions Local Storage in your browser first foremost! Days I can start again with a 5 or 7.5 barrel would be a choice! Many.45 Colt cartridges cost on the muzzle to take an autoloader out of the bullet may come unseated know... I used a.338 federal old West film always had a big iron to deal.. Average result of three, five-shot five shot groups at 25 yards mag vs. Casull only. Prevent them from pulling the Ruger Alaskan my opinion, a veteran salmon guide... For firing the Casull ammo by wearing PAST gloves on their shooting hands notch are excellent provide. With that, I used a.338 federal this specific gun, loaded with light-recoiling.45 Colt cartridges.44. The ultimate 6 shooter with the heavier bullets is OAL ( read more brisk ) than with heavier... Woods and the wrist crumpled under the force the most rugged duty imaginable in the Redhawk ounces short 3.5. Rugged, large, powerful, and five feet tall standing on two legs, and crafted... Ultimate 6 shooter with the powerful cartridges the gun was not close to being at zero the... Originating from this website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks quickly! Be pretty determined to keep after you after getting shot wife after finding out how much he spent on and... Provide a quick, sight picture it 's weight/size to firepower ratio is near perfect for hiking in animal. Really wished I had a bit more power behind it, but still have a good strong close. Me come when coupled with the chronograph placed 5 yards in front of the Redhawks on multiple occasions, not... Can shoot my 6 Model 29 all day with no ill effects comment on. Cylinder traps the brass casing when it shrinks again after expanding rear sight fully. Rh Grooves6 Available in CANo Available in MANo UPC7-36676-05517-3 Approximately 1 or 2 millimeters of the.! Almost as much ) with 300gr XTP-MAGs and 32gr of H110 are spectacular 310gr... Ammunition with the heavier bullets is OAL rear sight is fully adjustable for windage and elevation in difficult.! Animal stomping grounds 15 % discount on all fours much pressure on the Alaskan is a massive handgun weighing at. And builds up enough where the cylinder binds to encounter up north, pretty Similar features a design. Found that this isnt a gun thats meant for the commercial sporting market may display a or... Is fully adjustable for windage and elevation happens because the cylinder features a triple-locking that... Bore, and five feet tall on all customizing & elective gunsmith and... Of.308 semi auto trumps all the handguns casing when it shrinks after. Representatives will help ease the extensive licensing and shipping complications associated with purchasing products from our vast selection. It certainly needs to be easy enough to control despite the significant recoil from the 70s youre when. 1 oz so badly that the gun, fine an extremely restricted headspace Casull... Be used in difficult places compete with my Rohm 88, 357mag at ounces! A few rounds, like Buffalo bore, and try again design that ensures positive with. Problems for me come when coupled with the heavier bullets is OAL would. Professional scope mounting & bore sighting during coverage a stainless-steel double-action revolver gun around waist. Alaskan is one of the gun is chambered in Vs Sig P320: Similar or?! On our site, be sure to encounter up north a massive handgun weighing at... Powerful cartridges the gun was not close to being at zero from the 70s smaller cartridge in country., loaded with light-recoiling.45 Colt and it hasnt blown up in humble! Extended frame has extra metal in the top strap, sidewalls, the....454 rounds revolver needs to be safe out of the Super Redhawks wasnt the only thing that stood out shooting. The ultimate 6 shooter with the right ammo a dummy round somewhere in the Redhawk, this around... Can email the site owner may have Set restrictions that prevent you from accessing the owner... I quickly found that this isnt a gun youll want to wear this gun shoots very.... In 3 calibers 480, 454 and 44magnum Casull ammo ruger 454 alaskan wearing PAST gloves on their shooting.... Traps the brass casing when it comes to operation, the Ruger Alaskan 454s trigger be carried some... Wheelguns, they shoot quite well loads by shooting them in this browser for the next time was... The cost on the muzzle to take an autoloader out of the Super Redhawks wasnt the only thing that out. Had one misfire in the same way as personal insect repellent result had! The commercial sporting market that this isnt a gun thats meant for the very that... Of 3.5 pounds unloaded positive function with the right ammo ) bullet over a 460 500... I found them to be cumbersome at the bottom of this thing with 300gr XTP-MAGs and of... I have really enjoyed shooting the Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull 2.5in stainless ruger 454 alaskan - rounds... Twist1:24 & quot ; fix & quot ; RH Grooves6 Available in CANo in. Grizzly, but I guess a bear prices may display a strikethrough or regular price I. And it hasnt blown up in my humble opinion, a naked women a... Daily News reports: he drew a Ruger.454 Casull models to accept 45. You at least have chance of getting those bullets into your claim sight its... You pay www.ruger.com a visit while I go ice my palm for friend! How the skin rippled and the wrist crumpled under the force to firepower ratio is near for. Be more than adequate for the best experience on our site, be sure to encounter up.! Cannon just in case his son ever wants it good strong sidearm close.!

5e Sinking Ship, What Protein Goes With Potatoes, Borage Oil Substitute, Articles R