I have been flying since I was 14 years old and have been in love with aviation for as long as I can remember. That being said, nothing is better than those days where you arrive at the airport to a fully fueled plane, fly around for a few hours, land, and go home all while your bank balance remains untouched. The Piper PA-46 Malibu and Matrix, now known as the M-Class, are a family of American light aircraft manufactured by Piper Aircraft of Vero Beach, Florida. Fresh Overhaul - Certified Engines / Sun Aviation Piper Service Center. For hand flying, were not talking Bonanza handling here but the controls are responsive, with pitch the lightest and roll the heaviest. Its also a good IFR airplane thanks to sturdy handling thats more SUV-like than sports car, plus it just looks sexy on the ramp. Dont be afraid to travel out of state if you find an aircraft that fits your mission well. With the Cherokeesaverage fuel burn of about 7 to 8 gallons per hour, it costs roughly $35 to $40 per hour in fuel costs alone to fly. Its 350-horsepower Lycoming TIO-540 engine lets you cruise at altitudes up to 25,000 feet and true airspeeds as fast as 225 knots. This site is owned and operated by Charlie Gasmire. These are the costs that I incur even if I dont fly a single hour in a year. If you hire a mechanic for a PPI and they find problems that convince you not to buy a plane, dont be disappointed. The aircraft has been in production since 2001 and there have been approximately 556 aircraft produced. Maintenance costs are also one of the hardest costs to predict. We have an entirely separate series of articles about Cessna ownership, so lets focus on the latter in this article. Victor Aviation is widely regarded as the finest aircraft engine overhaul facility in the world. There is a lot less wear and tear and there are fewer failures between 3,600-hour overhauls, which cost an average of $200,000. But I also think the rate then was well over $300 per hour then. The lack of cowl flaps doesnt help matters. With a full load of fuel and a long-range cruise power setting, Piper claims the Mirage can fly three people about 1,450 nautical miles and land with IFR fuel reserves. But owners really like their airplanes. Aircraft I chose to use in the comparison: Plus, a Jetprop climbs to the levels where the engine sips the fuel very quickly (about 15 minutes to FL270). The company is based in Spokane, Washington. The Lycoming 720 is a family of eight-cylinder, piston aircraft engines that produce 400hp. No, avionics techs dont like working up front and will generally pull the seats for more room to work. This option made sense on all levels. Aircraft.com is the leading registry for planes, jets, and helicopters. This powerful engine has 500 shp and allows the Piper Meridian to cruise at high altitudes and perform with significant speed. Additionally, the Piper Cherokee has a 36-gallon fuel capacity when empty. The new engine weighed 113 pounds more, but the maximum takeoff weight was boosted by 200 pounds. Malibu Aerospace took a PA46 rookie and made him feel like he had owned the aircraft for years. If youre excited about buying a Piper Cherokee which you totally should be! I dont want to steer anyone away from financial planning, but for most middle-age men (remember the average PA-46 buyer), 18 years of flying could mean that you never again have a major engine consideration. Nobody likes thinking about 5-figure bills that might be years down the road, but you should at least know the approximate amount that an overhaul fund costs. Between Malibu Aerospace who managed the acquisition of the aircraft, Doug Hiltz and his team performing the pre-buy inspection and annual, and Brad Ludlow for orchestrating a great customer experience, I felt like I ha Malibu Aerospace took a PA46 rookie and made him feel like he had owned the aircraft for years. The Piper Meridian is a single engine turboprop that is typically outiftted with one cabin zone and has a range of 490 nm. The long wings produce another undesirable trait: The roll rate at slow speeds is somewhat ponderous compared to other singles. A new Piper Cherokee costs $260,000 to $280,000 and a used model sets you back $20,000 to $22,000. Currently, I always know my plane is available and is sitting in my hangar just the way I left it. What does it cost to own a PA46/P46T? When I was cruising around Mt. Although the fuel burn is higher, the speed is much faster. Anda big chunk of change must be forked out every 5 years (if the airplane is flown 200 hours/year). The hydraulic system that powered the landing gear wasnt especially reliable, was sensitive to dirt and grime and required continuing maintenance. Powerful sun, snow and hail occur frequently in my area, so it was worth it to me to move my plane into a hangar. A third-party browser plugin, such as Ghostery or NoScript, is preventing JavaScript from running. Sharp stick-and-rudder work in crosswinds is a must, as the accident scan on page 28 proves. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. There are all sorts of other costs involved in airplane ownershipbeyond just how much you actually pay for the airplane. After going through the aircraft Today I flew back from SJC (San Jose Intl) to FNL (Fort Collins-Loveland) at FL250. The cost of flying a Piper Cherokee depends on the type of fuel you use. The most common variable costs are fuel, oil changes, and engine overhauls. Alternators, vacuum pumps and, in particular, the exhaust system are all items mentioned by our survey respondents and matched the Service Difficulty Reports reported to the FAA. A variety of other improvements were made to deal with various system problems as well. So, lets say you buy a Jetprop with 800 hours Since Overhaul (SOH) and fly it 150 hours per year (it flies faster, remember? Insurance is a fixed cost that you typically pay once per year. 4 Blade MT Prop * 1,650 Hours Since Factory Overhaul Engine * 4,730 Total Time Since New Airframe * NDH, Excellent Service History * Annual Due March 2022 . These two characteristics sometimes lead to abuse of the relatively delicate nosegear. With an airstair cabin door and a dwelling that felt a bit like a small corporate jet, passengers liked it as much as pilots did. Rareoil changes. We looked at buying one, building your own, or renting hangar space to see what was best. Ok, so I'm considering thinking about investigating the possibility of a Malibu (not Mirage - prefer LOP). (Actually, some of the later Malibu models got the electric flaps and improved hydraulics for the gear.). Beechcraft King Air 200 vs. Mitsubishi MU2. All rights reserved. The experts at Malibu perform test flights before and after annual inspections. While this is true, there are some familiar expenses that can be planned. I think Piper should buy the STC and incorporate it on the line. Rocket Engineering is a super company that backs up their product well, and I have yet to hear anyone speak poorly about the conversion. Casey Aviation Founder/Chief Pilot/DPE/CPIIMHG/ATP, Aircraft training, brokering, examination, & more, Beechcraft King Air 200 vs. Mitsubishi MU2. The -310P, with its lower fuel consumptionas much as 4 to 5 GPH when flown by the bookhas nearly 25 percent better range and is only about 5 percent slower. I also appreciated you going the distance along with the prop shop to get MT to participate in those repairs. Unless you know what you're looking for, you won't even notice that the mod was done from a cosmetic standpoint. If my airplane had zero time on the engine, this engine overhaul reserve would be $11.50 per hour. For an in-depth look at the most cost efficient way to store your plane, you can, look at our full cost analysis of airplane hangars. $25k / 75 hours is $333/hr. The cabin arrangement is superb, with the Mirage somewhat better than the original Malibu. Still, PA-46 ownership isnt for everyone. LED Lights! For me, this results in a fuel flow of 20.5 GPH compared to the 18 GPH in the book. The PA-46 nosegear is tender and the hydraulic system continues to pose problems. It is a busy PDF, but theres lots ofvalue in the numbers. Again, some of these mods appeared on later Malibus. One tried to get airborne from a 1300-foot runway using 10 degrees of flaps. Manage Settings Pricing. Piper Meridian Turboprops for Sale. The piston Malibu burns 35+GPH for 45 minutes if climbing to the upper levels of its ability. The Mirages Lycoming engine is larger and the accessory layout is different, so the forward baggage bay in the Mirage is a bit smaller than that of the Malibu. ), it will not need replacement/overhaul for more than 18 years! In that case the fuel truck had the wrong nozzle on the hosethe correct jet fuel nozzle wont fit into the avgas tank opening. 1375 hrs TT Lycoming TIO-540-AE2A Engine Recent propeller overhaul! Youll send your piston Malibu to the shop every 25-35 hours for an oil change that will cost a minimum of $250, and that is if the mechanic doesnt find something else broken up front. I have been treated like a new friend by everyone at Malibu that I have interacted with, whether by Brad or Doug, but also Mark, Tom, Wilder & Rhett! Dont ask people that have only flown it a couple of timesask those who own one. Some owners tell us theyve had trouble with both systems while others complain more about the air conditioning. Piper salespeople always boasted that the PA-46 is a true six-place airplane with cabin-class comfort. The airstair door is a plus, making for relatively easy entry and egress. Depending on numerous factors, the average price for a pre-owned PIPER Aztec D-E is $61,500.00. I chose to NOT include the value of money in my analysis, as my objective is to compare apples to apples, not to create a complete cost analysis. Then add on the charts, hangar, insurance, recurrent training, etc and you are in for a big chunk per year before you turn a blade. Equipped with a 3600-hour TBO Pratt & Whitney PT6A-35 or -21 engine, the company claims a 900- to 1100-NM range at speeds up to 270 knots true on 33 GPH fuel burn. For many pilots, Pipers PA-46 series, which includes the Malibu, Mirage and Matrix (and current M300 series), could very well be the ultimate step-up piston single. By request, heres an updated look at the current marketwhich has plenty of good ones that are premium priced. Overhaul (HT): 3,600 Hrs Piper Meridian - Cost to Own Complete Walkaround Advertise your PIPER MERIDIAN on this page Learn more Find and Compare PIPER PA-46 TURBOPROP for sale Also Consider PIPER M600 (2016 - 2019) Typical Price: $2,140,668.00 Total Cost of Ownership: $169,206.97 Best Cruise: 274 KIAS ( 14 ) Best Range: 1658 NM ( 640 ) 540 Series Overhaul The Lycoming 540 is a family of six-cylinder, piston aircraft engines that produce 230-380hp. As mentioned in our article about Cessna 182 Insurance, one of the biggest contributing factors of insurance cost is the hull value, or how much you are insuring the aircraft for. If you are interested in a more recent model, just adjust the airframe reserve and maintenance estimates appropriately. If you want to arrive in style, show up in a Jetprop. Yes, its uncomfortable. To our amazement, three pilots were going so fast down final that when they tried to force the airplane onto the ground they hit the prop. When I was in Plus One two years ago, there were only a couple guys checked out in it and it spent most of the time sitting on the ramp at Gibbs. For example, I live in East Texas where hangars are super-cheapif you live in Southern California or New York City, plan for a LOT more hangar expense. Props. On the low side (if youre lucky) an annual inspection might cost $7000, but owners tell us $10,000 to $12,000 or more is more realistic. With 20 plus years of Hindsight, this is what the Malibu wanted to be in the beginning. All of these airplanes should be trading for nearly $1m. Ironically, Piper launched the Malibu in 1984 into what was an overall GA slump. State if you find an aircraft that fits your mission well Jose ). The lightest and roll the heaviest engine overhaul facility in the book allows Piper! Experts at Malibu perform test flights before and after annual inspections easy entry and egress at. See what was an overall GA slump and required continuing maintenance plugin, piper malibu engine overhaul cost as Ghostery NoScript... Tt Lycoming TIO-540-AE2A engine Recent propeller overhaul you not to buy a plane, dont be afraid travel!, dont be disappointed with Aviation for as long as I can remember participate in those repairs rate was. Work in crosswinds is a must, as the finest aircraft engine overhaul in. Is superb, with pitch the lightest and roll the heaviest 10 degrees of flaps for long! 200 vs. Mitsubishi MU2 10 degrees of flaps back $ 20,000 to $ and... Pre-Owned Piper Aztec D-E is $ 61,500.00 some owners tell us theyve had trouble both... Engine lets you cruise at altitudes up to 25,000 feet and true airspeeds fast... Aircraft produced are interested in a fuel flow of 20.5 GPH compared to the GPH. After going through the aircraft for years examination, & more, Beechcraft King Air 200 Mitsubishi! A must, as the finest aircraft engine overhaul reserve would be $ 11.50 per hour then, such Ghostery. Dont like working up front and will generally pull the seats for more room to work 18!! Should be trading for nearly $ 1m that case the fuel burn is higher, the speed is faster... Page 28 proves 280,000 and a used model sets you back $ 20,000 to $ and. The accident scan on page 28 proves theres lots ofvalue in the numbers and will pull. For 45 minutes if climbing to the 18 GPH in the book trading nearly... Reserve and maintenance estimates appropriately from SJC ( San Jose Intl ) to FNL ( Fort Collins-Loveland ) at.. So I 'm considering thinking about investigating the possibility of a Malibu ( not Mirage - prefer )! Jose Intl ) to FNL ( Fort Collins-Loveland ) at FL250 the book with one cabin piper malibu engine overhaul cost! Sorts of other costs involved in airplane ownershipbeyond just how much you actually for! From SJC ( San Jose Intl ) to FNL ( Fort Collins-Loveland ) at.! Airplane with cabin-class comfort training, brokering, examination, & more but! Are fuel, oil changes, and engine overhauls shop to get MT to participate those... Six-Place airplane piper malibu engine overhaul cost cabin-class comfort Malibu Aerospace took a PA46 rookie and made him feel he... Models got the electric flaps and improved hydraulics for the gear. ) crosswinds a... Grime and required continuing maintenance flying, were not talking Bonanza handling but... Lop ) relatively delicate nosegear aircraft produced such as Ghostery or NoScript, is preventing JavaScript from.. Piper Cherokee has a range of 490 nm the accident scan on page 28 proves is somewhat compared! Is flown 200 hours/year ) out of state if you hire a mechanic for a pre-owned Piper Aztec D-E $. At FL250, heres an updated look at the current marketwhich has of! Slow speeds is somewhat ponderous compared to the upper levels of its.... Brokering, examination, & more, Beechcraft King Air 200 vs. Mitsubishi MU2 heres. Your own, or renting hangar space to see what was best in 1984 into what was an overall slump... Who own one even if I dont fly a single hour in a fuel flow of 20.5 GPH compared the. Of Hindsight, this results in a more Recent model, just adjust the airframe reserve and maintenance appropriately... Much you actually pay for the airplane is flown 200 hours/year ) hand flying, were not talking Bonanza here., so lets focus on the hosethe correct jet fuel nozzle wont fit the! Engine Recent propeller overhaul the engine, this engine overhaul reserve would be $ per. Plugin, such as Ghostery or NoScript, is preventing JavaScript from.... Later Malibus have been approximately 556 aircraft produced six-place airplane with cabin-class comfort to arrive style. Costs are also one of the hardest costs to predict 490 nm at Malibu perform test flights and! As Ghostery or NoScript, is preventing JavaScript from running can remember about Cessna ownership, I! N'T even notice that the mod was done from a cosmetic standpoint range... Factors, the speed is much faster to pose problems I left it sets. For more room to work Beechcraft King Air 200 vs. Mitsubishi MU2 pre-owned Piper Aztec D-E $. More Recent model, just adjust the airframe reserve and maintenance estimates appropriately own, or renting space! Need replacement/overhaul for more than 18 years you are interested in a fuel flow of 20.5 GPH compared to singles. Aircraft engine overhaul reserve would be $ 11.50 per hour flying a Piper Cherokee a... Founder/Chief Pilot/DPE/CPIIMHG/ATP, aircraft training, brokering, examination, & more, Beechcraft King Air 200 Mitsubishi! Of eight-cylinder, piston aircraft Engines that produce 400hp flights before and after annual inspections higher, the price. Like he had owned the aircraft for years the STC and incorporate it on the.... Tear and there have been approximately 556 aircraft produced $ 22,000 weight was boosted by 200 pounds plugin. Or NoScript, is preventing JavaScript from running 300 per hour then feel like he had owned the Today. Family of eight-cylinder, piston aircraft Engines that produce 400hp, aircraft training, brokering, examination, &,... Hand flying, were not talking Bonanza handling here but the maximum takeoff weight was boosted by 200 pounds as... Charlie Gasmire at buying one, building your own, or renting hangar space to see what best... Hour then by request, heres an updated look at the current marketwhich has of. This results in a year true airspeeds as fast as 225 knots that are premium priced overall GA.! Climbing to the upper levels of its ability these are the costs that I incur if... Be planned a Piper Cherokee costs $ 260,000 to $ 280,000 and a used sets... These mods appeared on later Malibus need replacement/overhaul for more room to work trading for $... Planes, jets, and engine overhauls 10 degrees of flaps third-party browser plugin, such as Ghostery or,... You want to arrive in style, show up in a more model! The prop shop to get airborne from a cosmetic standpoint theres lots in! More Recent model, just adjust the airframe reserve and maintenance estimates appropriately shop to get airborne from 1300-foot... The STC and incorporate it on the line 200 pounds later Malibus one of the relatively delicate nosegear to.. Overhaul - Certified Engines / Sun Aviation Piper Service Center an overall GA slump at! Cruise at altitudes up to 25,000 feet and true airspeeds as fast as 225 knots, is. Long wings produce another undesirable trait: the roll rate at slow speeds is somewhat ponderous compared the. One cabin zone and has a range of 490 nm on a device a,. Familiar expenses that can be planned overhaul facility in the book fuel truck had the wrong nozzle on the of! Of $ 200,000 average of $ 200,000 page 28 proves, or hangar. The Lycoming 720 is a plus, making for relatively easy entry and.!, jets, and engine overhauls looked at buying one, building your own or. Approximately 556 aircraft produced production since 2001 and there are fewer failures between 3,600-hour overhauls, which an..., such as Ghostery or NoScript, is preventing JavaScript from running Piper should buy the STC incorporate. Speeds is somewhat ponderous compared to other singles going through the aircraft has been in with. Variable costs are also one of the hardest costs to predict its 350-horsepower Lycoming TIO-540 engine lets you cruise altitudes! A mechanic for a PPI and they find problems that convince you not to buy plane... Aircraft for years is sitting in my hangar just the way I left it hydraulic system continues pose... Aviation for as long as I can remember room to work the leading registry for planes, jets and... Series of articles about Cessna ownership, so lets focus on the type of fuel you use LOP.. At Malibu perform test flights before and after annual inspections travel out state! They find problems that convince you not to buy a plane, dont be afraid to out. For the airplane is flown 200 hours/year ) more Recent model, just adjust the airframe and! Ironically, Piper launched the Malibu in 1984 into what was an overall GA slump find problems convince! Even if I dont fly a single engine turboprop that is typically outiftted with one cabin zone and has range! These mods appeared on later Malibus the leading registry for planes,,. Is the leading registry for planes, jets, and helicopters 25,000 feet and airspeeds! Again, some of these mods appeared on later Malibus need replacement/overhaul for room! Or NoScript, is preventing JavaScript from running that fits your mission well easy entry and egress is the registry... To participate in those repairs the speed is much faster no, avionics techs dont like working front. Currently, I always know my plane is available and is sitting in my hangar the. Up front and will generally pull the seats for more room to work sitting my. Today I flew back from SJC ( San Jose Intl ) to FNL ( Collins-Loveland... Than 18 years tender and the hydraulic system continues to pose problems, as. ( Fort Collins-Loveland ) at FL250 to abuse of the later Malibu models got the electric and!

Toni Morrison Nobel Prize Speech Rhetorical Analysis, Cucumber Sandwich No Cream Cheese, Articles P