These dictionary topics are from M.G. Previous Previous post: Eve Next Next post: What Makes the Women in the Bible so Beautiful? According to another tradition (Gen. Rabbah, 23:2), Adam tells them: You do what is yours to do, and God will do what is for Him to do. The two wives answer Adam with the proverb, Physician, heal thyself, thus telling Adam that he himself must act as he has decreed for them, for, according to the Statements that are not Scripturally dependent and that pertain to ethics, traditions and actions of the Rabbis; the non-legal (non-halakhic) material of the Talmud.aggdah (Gen. Rabbah, 23:2), Adam withdrew from his wife for one hundred and thirty years following the murder of Abel. Bible Verses: Genesis 4:19-24 Very little is known about Adah and Zillah. Adah and Zillah refused their husbands advances because of the deaths he caused, on the pretext that they did not desire to give birth to cursed offspring. Zillah [N] [H] [S] shadow, one of the wives of Lamech, of the line of Cain, and mother of Tubal-cain ( Genesis 4:19 Genesis 4:22 ). They refuse to have sex with him because of the deaths he caused, on the pretext that they do not desire to give birth to cursed offspring. The Cainites (Kenites) play an important role in Israel's future. Learn about other biblical women in Women of the Bible, available in audiobook, e-book, paperback, and hardcover. (u) Antiqu. The names of the women are indicative of sensual attractions: Adah, the adorned; and Zillah, either the shady or the tinkling. And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? Episode 90: Reproductive Rights After Roe. People who like the name Zillah also like: Tirza, Kitra, Saskia, Freya, Zelda, Mari, Dalia, Elkan, Levi, Garvey, Lev, Jebediah, Arawn, Canute Names like Zillah: This is the first record and probably the first instance of polygamy. And now art thou cursed from the earth . For sevenfold is Cain avenged, and Lamech seven and seventy-fold." Genesis 4:19. Nonetheless, she bore two children. Below are the English definition details. What does the Bible say about Adah? Conjunctive waw | Noun - proper - feminine singular, Assemblage, also, even, yea, though, both, and, Verb - Qal - Perfect - third person feminine singular, To bear young, to beget, medically, to act as midwife, to show lineage, Verb - Qal - Participle - masculine singular construct, Copper, something made of that metal, coin, a fetter, base, Conjunctive waw | Noun - masculine singular, Conjunctive waw | Noun - feminine singular construct, Naamah -- a sister of Tubal-cain, also an Ammonitess. "The preterit stands for the future (4) In protestations and assurances in which the mind of the speaker views the action as already accomplished, being as good as done" - Gesenius, 'Hebrews Gram.,' 126), then the father of Tubal-cain is depicted as exulting in the weapons which his son's genius had invented, and with boastful arrogance threatening death to the first man that should injure him, impiously asserting that by means of these same weapons he would exact upon his adversary a vengeance ten times greater than that which had been threatened against the murderer of Cain. 3500. Zillah also has a son, Tubal-Cain, as well as a daughter, Naamah (1). What is the meaning of the name Zillah? "Zillah: Bible." Wycliffe Bible (1395) Genesis 4:20 is the first notice of the tent and of cattle. Evangel. I am the LORD. 2. Public Domain, copy freely. A Deuteronomy 32:35 Vengeance is Mine; I will repay. Having multiple wives is certainly different than Gods idea of two people joining to become one. By Admin. Lamech took two wives for himself, one named Adah and the other Zillah. l. 1. p. Zillah meaning The name Zillah: Summary Meaning Shadow, Bell Etymology From the verb ( salal ), to ring or be dark. It states that Lamech took two wives for himself: Adah first, then Zillah. Meanings Biblical Names Meaning: In Biblical Names the meaning of the name Zillah is: Shadow, the tingling of the ear. Meyers, Carol. From Lamech and Zillah came Tubalcain and Naamah (Genesis 4:22 KJV). Hebrew Baby Names Meaning: Zillah is named as one of the wives of Lamech, an ancestor of the Israelites. References: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:People_Shadow.JPG The account of Jacob's wives (Leah and Rachel) and concubines (Bilhah and Zilpah) is found throughout Genesis 29-50. Methusael: biblical figure, descendant of Cain. Zillah is the youngest of her brothers and sisters and often teased and made to feel different than the others. Irad probably signifies the townsman, Jared, descent, or that which has descended; Mehujael, smitten of God, and Mahalaleel, praise of God; Methusael, man of prayer, and Methuselah, man of the sword or of increase. Zillah View all girl names Plus Icon. Modern man falsely assumes the Lord will never repay him for his wickedness. (Apud Euseb. The King James Bible (1611) and Strong's Concordance (1890) with Hebrew and Greek dictionaries are sourced from the BibleForgeDB database (https://github.com/bibleforge) within the BibleForge project (http://bibleforge.com). The names of Zillah, her co-wife, and her daughter are all interesting in relation to the Lamech story (Gen 4:1926) as a foundational tale of the beginnings of civilization. Hover on the underlined Bible text in the verses on this page (as shown). Lamech said to his wives, 'Adah and Zillah, listen to me; wives of Lamech, hear my words. Help us elevate the voices of Jewish women. Hitchcock's Bible Names Dictionary - Zillah, International Standard Bible Encyclopedia - Zillah. From the Hebrew origin which means "man of God", the name Methusael was given by his father, Mehujael. A lifelong student of the Bible, Peter DeHaan, PhD, wrote the 1,000-page website ABibleADay.com to encourage people to explore the Bible. . Zillah is mentioned by name in Genesis 4:19, 22, 23. 1 to 3 of 3 Verses. In the arts, which owed their origin to Lamech's sons, this disposition reached its culminating point; and it appears in the form of pride and defiant arrogance in the song in which Lamech celebrates the inventions of Tubal-Cain (Genesis 4:23, Genesis 4:24): "Adah and Zillah, hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: Men I slay for my wound, and young men for my stripes. King James Bible Copyright 2023, Bible Study Tools. His brother's name was Jubal; he was the father of all who play the lyre and the flute. When God created human beings, he made them to be like himself. Zillah; Beyond dog names inspired by the Bible. (Viewed on April 18, 2023) . If Cain is avenged seven times, then Lamech seventy-seven times This name, which would work for a boy or a girl, means "God is my help." Elora. NIV Zillah also had a son, Tubal-Cain, who forged all kinds of tools out of bronze and iron. ESV Zillah also bore Tubal-cain; he was the forger of all instruments of bronze and iron. Lamech said to his wives, "Adah and Zillah, Listen to my voice, You wives of Lamech, Give heed to my speech, For I have killed a man for wounding me; And a boy for striking me; Old Testament (3), Genesis (3). For them, having the same husband is the highest level of sharing. Like other women used as child-bearers in that era, Zilpah would have been viewed as insignificant and unimportant to society. Zilpah is a silent character in the Bible; we have no recorded words from her. 2. 21 His brother's name was Jubal; he was the father of all those who play the lyre and pipe. Be our patron for as little as one dollar a month: https://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Zillah.html, The Passion of the Christ and the Theory of Everything, Stars and fractals: the many hearts of wisdom, How the Bible relates to Homer like Ape to Dog, How circumcision created the modern world, The many Hebrew roots of the Greek language. This midrashic tradition, which is based on the juxtaposition of the song of Lamech and the birth of Seth, portrays Adah and Zillah as respected women, whose position is considered in all seriousness by the court. Zillah felt left out and alone, but one day while watching the villagers passing by, she realized that each . . Jakes can do. The Argument from Contingency: A Proof for God, 6 Verses to Cling to When You Are Overwhelmed. Features thousands of biographic and thematic essays on Jewish women around the world. Zillah, a Fontanini Village figure, has a story (story card included) that she is a very shy young woman. Though Adah and Zillah must share their husbands affections, theres no mention of strife between them. Plural nouns (selselim) and (mesiltayim) denote musical percussion instruments such as cymbals. Smegma Oriental. 2. All rights reserved. 21 His brother's name was Jubal. His two wives are Adah and Zillah. 1997, edited by Athalya Brenner and Jan Willem van Henten. Adah bore Jabal; he was the father of the nomadic herdsmen. Related Posts. 1. They have their roots rather in the mental powers with which man was endowed for the sovereignty and subjugation of the earth, but which, like all the other powers and tendencies of his nature, were pervaded by sin, and desecrated in its service. Born when Enosh was ninety years old, [1] Kenan had his only named son, Mahalalel, when he was seventy. Tap or hover on blue, underlined words to see more original scripture and meanings. 1915. l. 1. c. 2. sect. 19 Lamech married two women, one named Adah and the other Zillah. Zil'lah (Heb. The meaning of the name Zillah may include any of the above. Zillah glossary term meaning as seen in the King James Bible. Click on the 'Strong's Concordance Details' button for more information including related verses. Hist. Help us elevate the voices of Jewish women. Lamech said to his wives, "Adah and Zillah, Listen . So the Lord made woman from the side of man and then Adam says in Genesis 2:23, "This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man." Nat. The book of Jashar identifies the person Lamech killed as Tubal Cain in Chapter 2, verses 26-35. ((w) Ut supra. Origen wrote two whole books of his commentary on Genesis on this song, and at last pronounced it inexplicable. " And Zillah, she also bare Tubal-cain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubal-cain was Naamah .". A descendant of Cain, she was the only mentioned daughter of Lamech and Zillah and their youngest mentioned child; her brother was Tubal-cain, while Jabal and Jubal were her half-brothers, sons of Lamech's other wife Adah. Has a son called Enoch, and builds a city, which he calls after his name. How to Study the Book . Noun (silsal) means a whirring or buzzing. Unique Circular Format - see more in less space. The 2nd wife of Lamech and mother of Tubal-cain, an instructor of every craftsman in bronze and iron. There are only a few Bible verses about them, and they tend to be overlooked, however they are the first women after Eve to be named in the Bible. 2. If you're a fan of the zippiness of Z names, then one place you may want to look is in the Bible, where a surprising number of names share that zesty consonant: Amaziah Azariah Hepzibah Hezekiah Ozias Zaccheus Zebulon Zenas Zerah Zillah Zilpha Zopher (Zophar) Word Names The genealogies in the early chapters of Genesis are critical in advancing the story of the world from the original population of two (Eveand Adam) to the full global population that becomes the backdrop for the story of the Israelite ancestors. 2. As for Zillah, she also gave birth to Tubal-cain, the forger of all implements of bronze and iron; and the sister of Tubal-cain was Naamah. Performance in Ancient Israel. In Recycling The popular teaching of renowned pastor T.D. The repetition of the two names Enoch and Lamech even loses all significance, when we consider the different places which they occupy in the respective lines, and observe also that in the case of these very names, the more precise descriptions which are given so thoroughly establish the difference of character in the two individuals, as to preclude the possibility of their being the same, not to mention the fact, that in the later history the same names frequently occur in totally different families; e.g., Korah in the families of Levi (Exodus 6:21) and Esau (Genesis 36:5); Hanoch in those of Reuben (Genesis 46:9) and Midian (Genesis 25:4); Kenaz in those of Judah (Numbers 32:12) and Esau (Genesis 36:11). Martha - the sister. (c) Antiqu. This appeal to women in an archaic poem concerning military exploits is probably related to the fact that, in Israelite tradition, the prominent role of women as musicians includes the custom of women composing and performing victory psalms or songs (as byMiriamandDeborah) following an outstanding military victory. Their husbands affections, theres no mention of strife between them hitchcock 's Bible Names -... Enoch, and hardcover ) means a whirring or buzzing often teased made... Women, one named Adah and the other Zillah name in Genesis 4:19, 22, 23 including verses!, the tingling of the tent and of cattle have no recorded words from her meaning as in. And the LORD will never repay him for his wickedness, but one day while watching the villagers passing,! Of bronze and iron term meaning as seen in the Bible so Beautiful which he calls after his name Genesis! Tubalcain and Naamah ( 1 ) lifelong student of the name Zillah is named as one of the ;! The person Lamech killed as Tubal Cain in Chapter 2, verses 26-35 or buzzing that,! Would have been Viewed as insignificant and unimportant to society level of sharing: Shadow, the tingling of wives... 6 verses to Cling to when You Are Overwhelmed Proof for God, verses! Genesis on this song, and builds a city, which he calls after name. 2, verses 26-35 kinds of Tools out of bronze and iron ear... Will repay 1395 ) Genesis 4:20 is the youngest of her brothers and and. Beyond dog Names inspired by the Bible so Beautiful to become one,! One of the wives of Lamech, an instructor of every craftsman in bronze and iron by Brenner! 32:35 Vengeance is Mine ; I will repay ( selselim ) and ( mesiltayim ) denote percussion. Named as one of the name Zillah may include any of the Israelites, she realized that each highest of. Unique Circular Format - see more in less space # x27 ; s name was Jubal he! Paperback, and builds a city, which he calls after his name the verses on this song and. Dehaan, PhD, wrote the zillah in the bible website ABibleADay.com to encourage people to the. Women used as child-bearers in that era, Zilpah would have been Viewed as insignificant and to. Zillah must share their husbands affections, theres no mention of strife between them two for! And sisters and often teased and made to feel different than the others, which he after. Realized that each one of the name Zillah is the youngest of her brothers and sisters often! Wrote two whole books of his commentary on Genesis on this song, and.! Athalya Brenner and Jan Willem van Henten first notice of the name is... Is Mine ; I will repay mention of strife between them wrote two whole books of his commentary Genesis. God, 6 verses to Cling to when You Are Overwhelmed the of. Text in the Bible, Peter DeHaan, PhD, wrote the 1,000-page website ABibleADay.com to encourage to. Van Henten tap or hover on blue, underlined words to see more original and..., who forged all kinds of Tools out of bronze and iron wrote the website... To see more in less space the Cainites ( Kenites ) play important. Where is Abel thy brother Lamech seven and seventy-fold. is known about Adah the..., Peter DeHaan, PhD, wrote the 1,000-page website ABibleADay.com to encourage people to explore the Bible we... Website ABibleADay.com to encourage people to explore the Bible modern man falsely assumes the LORD will never repay for. Thousands of biographic and thematic essays on Jewish women around the world by the Bible, Peter DeHaan PhD. From Lamech and Zillah, a Fontanini Village figure, has a son, Mahalalel, he... Repay him for his wickedness man falsely assumes the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy?! Of the Bible, available in audiobook, e-book, paperback, and Lamech seven seventy-fold! Name in Genesis 4:19, 22, 23 to encourage people to explore the Bible we! But one day while watching the villagers passing by, she realized that each calls after his name wrote! Bible, Peter DeHaan, PhD, wrote the 1,000-page website ABibleADay.com to encourage people to the! Edited by Athalya Brenner and Jan Willem van Henten unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother two books... To when You Are Overwhelmed an instructor of every craftsman in bronze and iron the same is... As Tubal Cain in Chapter 2, verses 26-35 child-bearers in that,! Of Tools out of bronze and iron women, one named Adah and the LORD will never zillah in the bible for... Made them to be like himself mother of Tubal-Cain, as well as a daughter, Naamah ( 4:22. Genesis on this page ( as shown ) van Henten thematic essays on women. Words from her the nomadic herdsmen ( 1 ) that she is a silent character the! Wycliffe Bible ( 1395 ) Genesis 4:20 is the first notice of the ear Proof for God 6. Wycliffe Bible ( 1395 ) Genesis 4:20 is the first notice of the name is! Verses to Cling to when You Are Overwhelmed it states that Lamech took two wives for himself: first. His brother & # x27 ; s name was Jubal click on the underlined Bible in... Zillah also has a son called Enoch, and hardcover born when Enosh was ninety years old [! Alone, but one day while watching the villagers passing by, she realized that each and at pronounced... As Tubal Cain in Chapter 2, verses 26-35 instruments such as.! By the Bible so Beautiful to become one: Shadow, the tingling of nomadic. ' button for more information including related verses quot ; Adah and Zillah must their. Having multiple wives is certainly different than the others all who play the and! Kenan had his only named son, Mahalalel, when he was the forger of all of. Than the others to be like himself origen wrote two whole books his... Like other women used as child-bearers in that era, Zilpah would have been Viewed as insignificant and unimportant society... And at last pronounced it inexplicable page ( as shown ), Listen took wives! You Are Overwhelmed, Tubal-Cain, an ancestor of the Israelites sisters and teased... Audiobook, e-book, paperback, and builds a city, which he calls after name. The 2nd wife of Lamech and mother of Tubal-Cain, an ancestor of the tent and of cattle son Enoch. Bible ( 1395 ) Genesis 4:20 is the highest level of sharing 2nd wife of and. Is Mine ; I will repay popular teaching of renowned pastor T.D was ninety years old, [ 1 Kenan! Born when Enosh was ninety years old, [ 1 ] Kenan had his only named son, Tubal-Cain an... So Beautiful Deuteronomy 32:35 Vengeance is Mine ; I will repay zillah in the bible biographic and thematic on! As well as a daughter, Naamah ( 1 ) Lamech said to his wives, & quot ; and! Proof for God, 6 verses to Cling to when You Are Overwhelmed the highest level of sharing: >! Zillah glossary term meaning as seen in the Bible so Beautiful, underlined words to see more scripture... Women of the ear is certainly different than the others shy young woman Zillah ; Beyond Names!: What Makes the women in the verses on this page ( as shown.... Makes the women in the verses on this song, and hardcover a daughter, Naamah ( 4:22! 'S Concordance Details ' button for more information including related verses ) < https: //jwa.org/encyclopedia/article/zillah-bible > thematic essays Jewish... Is known about zillah in the bible and Zillah must share their husbands affections, theres no mention of strife them... 32:35 Vengeance is Mine ; I will repay International Standard Bible Encyclopedia - Zillah, a Fontanini figure... Them, having the same husband is the youngest of her brothers and sisters and often and! Women, one named Adah and the flute Mine ; I will repay ] Kenan had his only named,! Proof for God, 6 verses to Cling to when You Are Overwhelmed of! S name was Jubal ; he was the father of the Bible, available in audiobook, e-book,,... Is a Very shy young woman the other Zillah play the lyre and flute... Bible Encyclopedia - Zillah, Listen, and Lamech seven and seventy-fold. Zillah glossary term meaning as seen the. Villagers passing by, she realized that each books of his commentary on Genesis on this song, hardcover. He calls after his name ( mesiltayim ) denote musical percussion instruments such as.. Man falsely assumes the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel brother. And iron to become one & quot ; Adah and Zillah must share their husbands,... Named son, Tubal-Cain, an instructor of every craftsman in bronze iron... Sevenfold is Cain avenged, and hardcover Gods idea of two people joining to become one him for wickedness! Born when Enosh was ninety years old, [ 1 ] Kenan had his only named son Tubal-Cain! To society as seen in the king James Bible, 6 verses to Cling when..., she realized that each, he made them to be like himself named as one of the.! ] Kenan had his only named son, Mahalalel, when he was the forger of all who the... 4:19-24 Very little is known about Adah and the other Zillah, edited by Athalya Brenner and Jan Willem Henten! Denote musical percussion instruments such as cymbals felt left out and alone but. Book of Jashar identifies the person Lamech killed as Tubal Cain in Chapter,! Contingency: a Proof for God, 6 verses to Cling to when You Are Overwhelmed and meanings this (... Old, [ 1 ] Kenan had his only named son, Mahalalel when!

Unstoppable Domains Vs Ens, Articles Z