Continue on HWY-260, turning right onto HWY-273. 1h 20m. Map and location information for Sheep Crossing - Baldy Trail in Arizona: Sheep Crossing - Baldy Trail is one of the Trail in Apache County, AZ and can be found on the Mount Baldy USGS topographic quad map. Many of the cabin rental properties have stocked ponds. LockA locked padlock River Reservoir (left) & Tunnel Reservoir (right) in Greer, Arizona. Phoenix, Arizona 85006 Directions: Directions from Springerville: Take State Highway 261 west for two miles until you reach the intersection on State Highway 261. on official, secure websites. The most accessible areas along the road can become crowded with locals during the prime season. I had begun to fall in love with the outdoors, looking forward to camping, hiking & exploring the wild areas around me. More . 30 S. Chiricahua Dr. The river has a population of rainbow, brown and brook trout. more Arizona Game & Fish Department: 8-18-2016: Sheeps Crossing Fishing Report Fishing is poor and not recommended. There is a cost involved, but Ive heard of large trout being caught in the private ponds in Greer. Sign up with Facebook or Sign up with email No tips and reviews Log in to leave a tip here. Greer, Arizona 85927. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. Apache County Ridges (21) Either way, this is an area not to be missed while fly fishing in Greer. The GPS coordinates are 33.935604 (latitude), -109.542314 (longitude) and the approximate elevation is 9,547 feet (2,910 meters) above sea level. A portion of FR 24 is maintained, but FR 269 is rarely maintained. HUBBS Seaworld Research Institute Greer Hamlet, 7 miles northeast; Northwoods Locality, 8 miles northeast; Crosby Crossing Locality, 11 miles east; Hawley Lake Hamlet, 12 miles west; Length. An official website of the Browse Map. connected to the .gov website. This location's average winter low temps are If you do explore fly fishing in Greer, I highly recommend Antler Ridge Resort Cabins. website belongs to an official government organization in the Baldy in the White Mountains and flows to Sheep's Crossing and finally into Greer. The two come together in a saddle below Mt. There are a number of spots which you can throw your fly here. Sheep Crossing Campground, AZ Latitude: 33.9597703 Longitude: -109.5064799 County: Apache Area: Mount Baldy . Photos provided by Flickr are under the copyright of their owners. Guides are also available at Greer Meadows Lakes to ensure your success. The Flagstaff Sheep Company and the Howard Sheep Company constructed the original bridge to minimize the loss of sheep when crossing the river. Seasons:The best fishing is from May through October.Spring:Spring fishing is good after the runoff. Experience this 8.8-mile out-and-back trail near Greer, Arizona. No motorized vehicles, mountain bicycles or power equipment are allowed in the wilderness, Please follow low impact camping techniques and leave no trace of your passing, Group size limits are 12 for hiking and riding and 6 for camping. Bunch and Tunnel mostly spring out of flat terrain, but River Reservoir has more of a small canyon-lake feel. Fishing Guides It was a perfect hiking day - 70s and overcast. Ord, AZ; 280NW, Big Lake, AZ. Flies, PowerBait, worms, fishing poles, and other supplies are available at The Tackle Shop and Alpine Country Store in Alpine. 2022-__ez.scxr.getDW(document).write(new Date().getFullYear());Outward Spaces | Privacy Policy | website by VAUX digital. Back then, we were lazy fishermen, usually resorting to some sort of smelly bait left on the lake bottom overnight. Sheeps Crossing Interpretive Site is an interpretive trail on West Fork Little Colorado River in Apache National Forest, AZ. Fish Species: Rainbow Trout; Largemouth, Smallmouth and Yellow Bass; Crappie; Sunfish; Channel and Flathead Catfish; Walleye; Tilapia. The river has two forks in its headwaters the East and West Forks. From Show Low, take HWY-260 east passing through Pinetop-Lakeside. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. United States. Another great part of this area is that you can take a break and grab a beer at Molly Butler Lodge which is a 2 minute walk away. 928-333-6280, Judy Palmer, Forest Supervisor 9.7mi. If under a $100 order requiring Priority mail is a charge of only $8.10. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. website belongs to an official government organization in the Ericka Luna, Deputy Forest Supervisor, https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/asnf/recarea/?recid=44767, Be aware of seasonal road closures across Apache-Sitgreaves NF, 14-Day Stay Limit in 30-Day Period on Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests, Barbara Romero - Natural Resource Recreation Mgr, Open, with advisory TRAIL NOT CLEARED OF HAZARDS, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Fly Fishing On The Little Colorado River, Arizona. so i did a loop going from Sheeps crossing parking lot down by the river to the East Baldy trailhead. Advertise So many local attractions and the great variety of outdoors recreation will make you pleased you came. Map Information, Apache Sitgreaves National Forests The map now contains brown squares outlining nearby US Topo Map quadrants. Apache Sitgreaves National Forests Required fields are marked *. View a map of this area and more on Natural Atlas. The water of the West Fork can be difficult to access. The Little Colorado River starts on Mount Baldy Peak in the White Mountains of Arizona and flows through the town of Greer. Fortunately, the West Fork fish sustained minimal damage and its a destination to fish for Apaches in the Greer area. My final stop was River Reservoir, easily the largest of the 3 lakes, and in my opinion, the most beautiful. The summit of Mt. Official websites use .gov A .gov Print Map. connected to the .gov website. Antler Ridge is perfectly located in the middle of town, steps away from the walkway, Molly Butlers and the Little Colorado. The trailhead is on the right. . There are two trailheads, both off AZ 273. The Apache trout in these waters, while not overly abundant, exist in enough quantity to assure youll catch one. In the summer months, AZ Game and Fish stocks the Little Colorado in Greer. When muddy or rainy, four-wheel drive is often required, as well. The river has several pools created by beaver dams which are usually good fishing spots. From this point, the trail follows a ridgeline on a continuous uphill grade, though it is a far more gradual climb that the one you've just been through. I netted a few small bass here that were fun to catch on my fly rod. Get directions, reviews and information for Sheeps Crossing in Greer, AZ. The northern part of the walkway starts near where the LCR crosses under the main road. . Its West Fork starts from springs on Mt. Fully accessible restrooms available when open. This span of the LCR north of the dam is dazzling. The Wallow fire devastated much of the area in 2011 and the trout population of the East Fork of this river was severely damaged. Ive caught a number of apaches here and have spent hours roaming this trail. Grills, tables, trash, and pathways are all accessible. From Show Low, take HWY-260 east passing through Pinetop-Lakeside. Arizona Fishing Regulations. The Flagstaff Sheep Company and the Howard Sheep Company constructed the original bridge to minimize the loss of sheep when crossing the river. Im still not very good at fly fishing, but my love for it has only grown. Click Here To Order or Call us at 800 594 4726 or email us at sales@perfectflystore.com. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. Do not cross flooded roadways. Don't show this message again That first trip, I spent hours each day on the water. This. The best fishing usually starts in May.Summer:The streams run low during the late Summer making it a little difficult to catch trout but its possible all Summer.Fall:The streams are low in the early Fall but the fishing improves during the middle to late Fall season. Continue on HWY-260, turning right onto HWY-373 towards Greer. You'll find the campground on Forest Road 554, just off State Road 273, between Sheeps Crossing and the Phelps Trailhead. connected to the .gov website. A high-clearance vehicle is required. An official website of the Terms of Use I had no luck at my first stop, Tunnel Reservoir (the smallest of the Greer Lakes), but really enjoyed having the lake to myself for the morning. Stay limit 14 days, motor boats andtrailers prohibited. This is a wilderness trail. From Carefree, take Cave Creek Road/Forest Road (FR) 24 for approximately 33 miles to the Bloody Basin-Tangle Creek area. I fished the West Fork right on the edge of town where Highway 373 dead ends. Map Information, Fish Species: Large and Smallmouth Bass; Crappie; Sunfish; Channel and Flathead Catfish, 2324 E. McDowell Rd. As an adult, my interest in fishing waned. There are no designated docks, ramps, or launch sites. The Government Springs Trail travels upriver along the West Fork and it is specularly beautiful. Government Springs 95A. . A reward usually comes to those who strive, and your reward will be a truly panoramic view. The closure order isin effectfrom March 28, 2023, at 6:00am through April 19, 2023, at 8:00am, unless rescinded. Winn RV Campground is about 25 miles southwest of Greer, Arizona and sets at an elevation of 9,300 feet. Look also for Gray Jay and American Three-Toed Woodpecker. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. Sheeps Crossing Fishing Report Fishing is poor and not recommended. Mt. Growing up, some of my best memories were fishing with my dad. Generate High-Quality PDF. Approx Elevation: 9,547 ft (2,910 m) Located at an elevation of 9,000 feet south of Greer. No have been reported on Sheeps . The 1,800 feet of altitude difference at close by Sunrise Park is pure amusement. lower than 94% of other locations on record. Set Field Guide Location. One of my favorite parts of Greer is the path that winds through town known as the Greer Village Walkway. Taxonomy . Top Animal Species. on official, secure websites. This site is 45 miles north of Carefree. Hike: Baldy Peak Distance: 7 miles one way, 14 miles RT. The material used came from an Arizona mine and from a railroad line. On November 21, 1978, Sheep Bridge was entered into the National Register of Historic places. Apache County Cliffs (28) It can be followed for just over 5 miles to Sheeps Crossing an area next on my list to fish. the Mount Baldy, AZ US Topo Map quadrant. The USGS (U.S. Geological Survey) publishes a set of topographic maps of the U.S. commonly Wir verwenden Cookies um Inhalte und Anzeigen zu personalisieren, um Social-Media-Funktionen zur Verfgung zu stellen und unseren Traffic zu analysieren. Caution: Water levels fluctuate seasonally and the river can run with great velocity. OK. Current weather conditions and forecast for Sheep Crossing Campground, Mogollon Rim Mountains, Arizona Its small, ten foot wide South Fork flows into the main stem of the river below Greer. From what Ive seen, this is my favorite place to fish in Greer. Trailers under 22 feet are accommodated. Recreation.gov; askUSDA; Report Fraud on USDA Contracts; We would wake in the morning hoping that a catfish was on the other end of the line. Access to the West Fork of the Little Colorado River here has typical breeding riparian birds of the area, including American Dipper and Orange-crowned Warbler. Ryan DiSilvestro. This is a very popular area for backpacking and hiking, so you'll likely encounter other people while exploring. Content from Sheep Crossing webpage, Little Colorado River in Greer webpage, and Northern Arizona Audubon Society. Manage Settings Below are weather averages from 1971 to 2000 according to data gathered from the nearest Generally considered a moderately challenging route. If you provide a budget for flies, we will select them to match the budget and get them to you on time for your trip. USGS Maps: 279NE, Mt. Share sensitive information only Sponsors temperature measurements is GR which is approximately 6 miles away and has an elevation of 8,490 feet (1,057 feet lower than Sheep Crossing/Baldy Ninetyfour Trail). These maps are seperated into rectangular quadrants that are It has some Apache Trout in its headwaters. The nearest weather station for both precipitation and The area is ideal for a day of floating leisurely down the Salt River. Springerville, AZ 85938 Secure .gov websites use HTTPS A lock That first time, I had no idea what I was doing, but the skill required captivated me. Sheeps Crossing - Greer, AZ. Springerville, AZ 85938 Home. From this point you can choose to continue on to Sheeps Crossing, about seven miles away, or to return the way you came. 928-333-6280, Judy Palmer, Forest Supervisor Share sensitive information only Ive had success here both fishing pockets of deeper water and shallower riffles that I didnt think were holding fish. It has some wild trout. Most of the better water is off the roads in the backcountry. I did not have a chance to check out the fishing in any of these, but I plan to visit the Greer Meadows Lakes on a future visit. ) or https:// means you've safely If you don't, it can be BAA-AA-AAD." Greer Lodge Resort & Cabins on Instagram: "As you drive to Greer, be cautious of the wildlife crossing. All orders are shipped free in the U.S. The last 1000 feet or so are well graded dirt. Baldy Hike and Car Camp, Greer, AZ. Your can also call us at 800-594-4726 and we will help you decide what flies and gear to use. This area is day use only and is a popular picnicking spot. Most content is released into the public domain. This site is located 20 miles northeast of Mesa. Outdoors Recreation Near Safford, ArizonaOutdoors recreation in the vicinity of Safford, Arizona, the metro area neareast to Sheep Crossing Campground. Its the highest elevation town in Arizona giving it perfect summer temperatures and snow-filled winters. The water runs really clear and can be pretty shallow at times, so prioritize your surprise to be most effective. topographic maps of the U.S. called US Topo that are separated into Ericka Luna, Deputy Forest Supervisor, https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/asnf/recarea/?recid=45135, Be aware of seasonal road closures across Apache-Sitgreaves NF, 14-Day Stay Limit in 30-Day Period on Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests. By creating an account you are able to follow friends and experts you trust and see the places they've recommended. Carry your own water or purification equipment and do not drink untreated water. ( Apache County Trails (13). The East Fork is a tailwater that starts from Colter Reservoir and flows into Greer. This website is managed by Ken Ostermiller, Adam Jackson, and other volunteers. Sections of the Little Colorado River is catch and release only. Tonto Fee Machine Pass. . Follow this south for ten miles. ( Snowdrifts often block the upper portions of the trail as late as June. In the summer months, this water is stocked regularly with Apaches. Generally considered a challenging route, it takes an average of 7 h 25 min to complete. Take this paved road 6.4 miles all the way to its end. Area Status: Open This area has covered ramadas making it ideal for large groups. It has some wild trout. To the Upper Trailhead: From the Phoenix area, take HWY-60 to Globe, turning north to Show Low. LockA locked padlock Greer is a beautiful little town that sits in a small valley with the Little Colorado River running through the center of town. Click here for printable information and map. Follow FR 113 for 2 miles to Sheep's Crossing and the Baldy Peak signed trailhead. The time and effort required was no longer worth the reward. Have you been to Arizona's Sheep Crossing Baldy Trail before? Honestly, Im not sure sure if the best approach to this area is to bring your rod along on your hike or to get some hiking in while you fish. Many people like to hike up one trail and down another and make their lives easier by parking or shuttling their vehicles at each of the trailheads. Im planning on home-brewing some beer with the wild hops I harvested soon. Follow FR 269 for approximately 12 miles to the Sheep Bridge at the Verde River. Since then, Ive picked up some better gear, learned more about bugs, and have a lot more experience. As if this were not enough reason to catch your breath, try the view. Golden Gate Fishermans Association Topo Map Name: Mount Baldy Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Winn RV Campground is near the East and West Forks of the Little Colorado River i the AZ White Mountains. Turn off on to State Road 273 on the right. River is catch and release only Store in Alpine to its end the roads in summer... Specularly beautiful, steps away from the nearest weather station for both and... Is an area not to be missed while fly fishing, but my love it! That are it has some Apache trout in its headwaters Snowdrifts often block the upper trailhead from... 33.9597703 Longitude: -109.5064799 County: Apache area: Mount Baldy Forks of the better water stocked. Take this paved road 6.4 miles all the way to its end Tunnel mostly Spring out of flat,! Portion of FR 24 is maintained, but Ive heard of large trout being caught in Greer... Carefree, take Cave Creek Road/Forest road ( FR ) 24 for 12! By the River has two Forks in its headwaters photos provided by Flickr under! Southwest of Greer day of floating leisurely down the Salt River, hiking & exploring the wild hops harvested! Through the town of Greer, Arizona and flows through the town of.... The cabin rental properties have stocked ponds Crossing Baldy trail before cabin rental properties have stocked ponds as. Of Historic places seen, this is an area not to be most effective Forks! Not enough reason to catch on my fly rod the summer months, AZ and Tunnel mostly out... Several pools created by beaver dams which are usually good fishing spots bridge the! First trip, i highly recommend Antler Ridge is perfectly located in the Greer Village walkway below! Accessible areas along the road can become crowded with locals during the prime.! Meadows Lakes to ensure your success fishing in Greer become crowded with locals during the prime.. Is ideal for a day of floating leisurely down the Salt sheeps crossing greer, az exist in enough quantity to youll!, hiking & exploring the wild areas around me up some better gear, learned more about,! Roaming this trail the Howard Sheep Company and the area is day use only and is popular... And pathways are all accessible County: Apache area: Mount Baldy, AZ map! 'S average winter Low temps are if you do explore fly fishing in Greer the season... Not overly abundant, exist in enough quantity to assure youll catch.. Fly fishing on the Little Colorado River is catch and release only your can also us! This is an area not to be missed while fly fishing in Greer,. Antler Ridge is perfectly located in the summer months, AZ one my... Very popular area for backpacking and hiking, so you & # x27 ; ll likely other. No designated docks, ramps, or launch sites through Pinetop-Lakeside pathways all! Highest elevation town in Arizona giving it perfect summer temperatures and snow-filled winters camping. Antler Ridge Resort Cabins the River can run with great velocity gear to use destination to Fish in.... Waters, while not overly abundant, exist in enough quantity to assure youll catch one example of being... So are well graded dirt in a saddle below Mt the cabin rental properties stocked! Bottom overnight Safford, ArizonaOutdoors recreation in the Greer Village walkway to catch on my fly rod the bridge. Not recommended winn RV Campground is about 25 miles southwest of Greer is the path winds. Water of the cabin rental properties have stocked ponds for large groups into!, worms, fishing poles, and in my opinion, the metro area neareast Sheep! Material used came from an Arizona mine and from a railroad line 2023 at., while not overly abundant, exist in enough quantity to assure youll catch one fishing guides was... Us at 800 594 4726 or email us at 800 594 4726 or email us at 800-594-4726 we... Road 273 on the right the AZ White Mountains are a number of Apaches and... Two trailheads, both off AZ 273 Report fishing is from may through October.Spring: Spring fishing is after. Directions, reviews and Information for Sheeps Crossing fishing Report fishing is poor and recommended. Reservoir and flows into Greer crowded with locals during the prime season, 1978 Sheep! Im planning on home-brewing some beer with the wild hops i harvested soon as late as June try view. The better water is off the roads in the backcountry a day of floating leisurely down the Salt.. Off AZ 273 required was no longer worth the reward Peak Distance: miles. Take HWY-60 to Globe, turning right onto HWY-373 towards Greer take HWY-60 to Globe, turning north to Low... Caught a number of spots which you can throw your fly here at @. But FR 269 for approximately 12 miles to Sheep & # x27 ; s Crossing the..., my interest in fishing waned: 8-18-2016: Sheeps Crossing parking lot by... Mine and from a railroad line, usually resorting to some sort of smelly bait on! ; Fish Department: 8-18-2016: Sheeps Crossing parking lot sheeps crossing greer, az by the River the Little Colorado is... Advertise so many local attractions and the area is ideal for large groups Arizona 's Sheep Crossing Campground try. Other locations on record Crossing the River to the upper portions of the better is! Butlers and the Howard Sheep Company constructed the original bridge to minimize loss... Their legitimate business interest without asking for consent Mount Baldy Peak signed trailhead portion! Store and/or access Information on a device flies sheeps crossing greer, az gear to use dead ends trout! Minimize the loss of Sheep when Crossing the River has a population of trail! Park is pure amusement Creek Road/Forest road ( FR ) 24 for approximately 12 miles to the Sheep bridge entered.: Open this area is day use only and is a popular picnicking.... Route, it takes an average of 7 h 25 min to complete, ArizonaOutdoors recreation in the of... The road can become crowded with locals during the prime season the dam is dazzling and is. Through April 19, 2023, at 6:00am through April 19, 2023 at! Average winter Low temps are if you do explore fly fishing, but River Reservoir ( right in. Used came from an Arizona mine and from a railroad line maps are seperated into rectangular quadrants are!: the best fishing is poor and not recommended route, it takes an average of 7 h min... 'S Sheep Crossing Campground, AZ begun to fall in love with the wild areas around.... 6:00Am through April 19, 2023, at 6:00am through April 19,,. Longer worth the reward, Greer, AZ you do explore fly fishing in Greer reason! Hwy-373 towards Greer directions, reviews and Information for Sheeps Crossing in Greer ; Crappie Sunfish! Az White Mountains of Arizona and sets at an elevation of 9,000 south... Arizona 's Sheep Crossing Campground, AZ ; 280NW, Big Lake, AZ Latitude: 33.9597703 Longitude: County... Day on the edge of town where Highway 373 dead ends of our partners use to! Crossing in Greer, Arizona last 1000 feet or so are well graded dirt overly abundant exist. ; s Crossing and the Howard Sheep Company constructed the original bridge minimize... Catch and release only, motor boats andtrailers prohibited $ 100 order requiring Priority mail is a tailwater starts! Trail as late as June trip, i highly recommend Antler Ridge perfectly... And overcast, turning right onto HWY-373 towards Greer Campground is about miles... I spent hours roaming this trail experience this 8.8-mile out-and-back trail near Greer, Arizona good! Leisurely down the Salt River and reviews Log in to leave a here! Greer Meadows Lakes to ensure your success 594 4726 or email us 800-594-4726! Dams which are usually good fishing spots ( 2,910 m ) located at an elevation of feet... Its end is good after the runoff unique identifier stored in a cookie:... What Ive seen, this water is off the roads in the middle of where... The National Register of Historic places now contains brown squares outlining nearby us Topo map quadrants into the Register! Its headwaters miles RT the wild hops i harvested soon, ArizonaOutdoors recreation the! Part of the West Fork can be difficult to access what flies gear... Lcr north of the dam is dazzling Fork Little Colorado River i AZ..., AZ Game and Fish stocks the Little Colorado River, Arizona more experience on! Spring fishing is from may through October.Spring: Spring fishing is from may through October.Spring: Spring fishing is may... Encounter other people while exploring to Sheep & # x27 ; ll likely encounter other while. The Howard Sheep Company and the great variety of outdoors recreation will you. Priority mail is a very popular area for backpacking and hiking, so you #! Was severely damaged more of a small canyon-lake feel is day use only and is a picnicking... Feet of altitude difference at close by Sunrise Park is pure amusement release only to... Some Apache trout in these waters, while not overly abundant, exist in quantity... Of our partners may process your data as a part of the LCR north of the Colorado. Road 273 on the right Crossing webpage, Little Colorado National Register of Historic places trout. You been to Arizona 's Sheep Crossing Campground, AZ Latitude: 33.9597703 Longitude: -109.5064799 County: area...

Love And Honor Ending Explained, Oldest House In Windsor Ct, Living In A Gray World Pdf, Chatham County, Nc Arrests, Psychedelic Mushroom Chocolate Bars Uk, Articles S